Taking plants out of boarders if moving house

(7 Posts)
cupcake78 Thu 16-Jan-14 10:53:10

How?

I'm moving in the next few weeks and I have a Lilac tree and climbing rose I want to take with me. How do I do it and when ?

Jaffacakesallround Sun 19-Jan-14 17:37:54

You need to be careful..legal stuff.

I think it's ok to take the odd thing out of a border- such as a few perennials that no one would notice much, but if someone has bought your house on the basis that it has a nice garden, including a lilac tree and a rose, they are not going to be happy at all to find a deep hole in their place. In fact you could be breaking your sale contract. Bit like taking the kitchen units away.

It's not really feasible to remove a large lilac tree anyway- you'd have to dig very deeply and the odds on it surviving are not good- same applies to the rose.

littleredsquirrel Sun 19-Jan-14 17:39:30

don't take them unless you made it clear they were not remaining.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sun 19-Jan-14 17:40:08
OldLadyKnowsNothing Sun 19-Jan-14 17:41:53

And from the lilac. Problem solved.

Mintyfrog Sun 26-Jan-14 10:36:27

You would need to stipulate what you are planning to take.

RetroHippy Tue 28-Jan-14 23:07:10

I'm intending to split certain annuals when we move, so the new owners still have the plant, and so do I!

I'd be interested if anyone knows the success rate of taking cuttings from a twisty hazel? It was a gift from my mum and I don't want to leave it. Might just tell any potential buyers that it won't be there...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now