First frost: protection

(9 Posts)
EeyoreIsh Thu 14-Nov-13 14:06:42

I've a few plants that need some protection over winter (olives, young fruit shrubs etc). In addition to mulching, I'm looking for some horticultural fleece, as that's what rhs recommend. But I've no idea how to apply it, where to get it from, etc!

Any advice welcome. Some plants are movable, others not.

Can I use bubble wrap instead?

Talkinpeace Fri 15-Nov-13 18:20:49

b&q

bumperella Fri 15-Nov-13 21:18:04

Depends a bit on where you are as to how low temps will get. Olives will hate the wet as well as the cold. If in pots, raise pot off the ground and wrap it in bubble wrap. Put fleece over the top growth of the plant - drape it over the top. A big thick mulch will protect the roots/crown from cold and wet.

Talkinpeace Fri 15-Nov-13 21:27:16

I do not cover my Olive : but its Physic Garden stock so hard as nails
Fleece is to bubble wrap as goretex is to cheap waterproof
BUT
most UK fruit should not need fleece

sources : ebay is great, as is b&q

EeyoreIsh Fri 15-Nov-13 21:34:53

Thanks. Last winter I mulched the olives and they survived but looked very sad come the spring.

Some of the other plants are still quite young, like blueberries. And in an exposed position.

We'll try b&q then.

Methe Fri 15-Nov-13 21:39:34

Cheapo horticultural fleece in Wilcos smile

EeyoreIsh Fri 15-Nov-13 21:47:17

we don't have a Wilcos here sad

sittinginthesun Fri 15-Nov-13 21:52:45

Thank you! My DH is very impressed, as we were having this very same conversation earlier.

Showtime Tue 31-Dec-13 12:28:21

I thought all garden centres sold fleece by the roll.
My potted olive survived well last winter, in the corner of house and boundary wall (SW), but I lined a larger pot with bubblewrap and put olive pot inside to protect roots, only putting fleece cover on when remembering. Lots of flowers later plus some olives, so seems ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now