Prickly plant advice

(5 Posts)
MikeWazowski Wed 30-Oct-13 21:21:00

Can I have some advice please, we're moving to a new bungalow and my bedroom window is only 4ft from the road. What can I plant they'll grow easily and give me a little bit of security. I am a bit of a gardening novice but am happy for a bit of hard work to make things look good and for me to feel a bit less exposed.

We're south-east England if that makes a difference.

Mushypeasandchipstogo Wed 30-Oct-13 22:58:09

Pyracantha makes a good prickly hedge . You could mix red and orange berried varieties. Berberis is also thorny but attractive.

YesterdayI Wed 30-Oct-13 23:45:02

I recently saw some beautiful pyracanthas at my local garden centre with two tone cream and red berries. They made a change from the usual colours.

You could also plant holly. It's cheap and cheerful. I don't like it much myself but its robust and easy to grow. There are lots of varieties so do a bit of research before you choose.

Talkinpeace Thu 31-Oct-13 22:32:48

Pyracantha, berberis, holly, mahonia, hawthorn, blackthorn

All will cope fine with being trimmed into a rough hedge
all will give you flowers and berries
once established, all will make fantastic cover for small birds and mammals and insects

plant them about a foot apart - 2 foot high plants, trim the tops to make them bushy and they will get to 4 foot in no time and thick in a couple of years.

MikeWazowski Thu 31-Oct-13 22:38:30

Thank you all, I shall be in the garden centre this weekend armed with your advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now