Which plant to use for screening?

(4 Posts)
suebfg Sun 27-Oct-13 16:21:18

I have a small window on the side of my house which overlooks the street and I would like to place a plant outside in a pot to provide some privacy.

I need an evergreen shrub that I can pot and which would grow to about 5 ft tall i.e. provide privacy but not block out the light completely.

Any recommendations please?

lisylisylou Sun 27-Oct-13 21:43:14

I think it might be a bit of a struggle not to block out the light as most evergreens are dense. The ones that I can think of is ceanothus as it has small leaves and is not terribly dense and normally I wouldn't recommend bamboo but in this case I would. Might be best to ask for a non invasive type or to plant in the pot and bury into the ground which should stop the roots from taking over. Otherwise a photinia ragged red robin might be a good choice

dizhin79 Sun 27-Oct-13 22:10:15

depending on budget u could go for some topiary, such as a tall spiral or lollipop, they would give a bit of interest and a certain amount of privacy. Very easy maintenance and keep in a pot for ages

lljkk Sun 27-Oct-13 22:15:22

bamboo?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now