Nerines- no flowers.

(8 Posts)
hellymelly Thu 24-Oct-13 11:06:32

Planted nerines for the first time this year, they have leaves, but no flowers. Will they flower next year or are they maybe not happy where they are? I planted some tulbaghia violacea in pots in the same place and they haven't flowered either, am I doing something wrong?

hellymelly Thu 24-Oct-13 16:05:58

bumping.

cantspel Fri 25-Oct-13 11:37:43

Nerines like poor soil and if the soil is rich in nitrogen then your plants will lack flowers. You could try replacing some of the soil with sand and grit.

I dont think tulbaghia violacea flowers in its first year but i could be wrong but it is something i seem to remember reading somewhere.

hellymelly Fri 25-Oct-13 14:48:34

Oh thank you so much for posting. I planted the nerines in a drier part of the garden but perhaps the soil isn't poor enough there. I have roses in the same bed , and I put rose food on them, so perhaps that has made the soil too nitrogen rich. I will try moving the nerines, do you think it is ok to move them now, or when the foliage dies back?

cantspel Fri 25-Oct-13 15:11:49

They should be ok to move now or you could lift the bulbs dry them out and replant in spring.

Make sure you dont plant them to deep as they tend to flower best when the top of the bulb is pushing itself out of the soil.

If you decide to move them now give them a good mulch as we could be in for a hard wet winter and you dont want the bulbs to rot.

I love nerines and have some in a pot that i must get around to moving into the flower beds.

hellymelly Fri 25-Oct-13 15:21:39

I love them too. I saw them en masse in a really beautiful garden near here last year, and that prompted me to plant some. (If you love gardens, and ever come to Pembrokeshire then visit Dyffryn Fernant, it is stunning).
I think they are slightly incongruous for the time of year they flower, which makes them particularly special.

lisylisylou Sun 27-Oct-13 21:50:11

I remember always seeing nerines in full sun and never in the shade. They like poor soil but sometimes plants don't always do well first year in so it might be a case of being patient for next year

hellymelly Sun 27-Oct-13 22:11:08

Oh , so maybe I should leave those in situ, and plant some more in another place to hedge my bets. The garden I love them in has them next to the garden wall, so a dryish stoney spot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now