Roses

(34 Posts)
Dutchoma Sun 06-Oct-13 17:21:05

We have had some railings installed at the front of our house. Behind them is a small strip (about 1m wide) of nice garden soil. I would like some rose to grow against the railings.
What do I plant? Climbing or rambling, one colour or several, scented if possible.
There are several roses in the strip already, a big red one, a little red one and a white one.

Any ideas?

Dutchoma Fri 25-Oct-13 07:40:39

Link is not working for me. I even signed up and it froze.

BUT: I now have the David Austin catalogue and you are so right: it is beautiful even to look at. Still not made any decisions.

It is so difficult to visualise what it will look like.
I like the look of the Compassion, but am wondering if it is too orange when I am thing of plating some 'mourning widow' and 'album' geranium, 'Mars and Mount Everest' allium and some late flowering asters, the type that is out everywhere at the moment. That's all very purple, so would pink or yellow go better?

For such a small patch I am having a lot of fun.

Dutchoma Fri 25-Oct-13 07:57:37

Oh, it will let me in now that I have signed up.
Yes cabbage roses are the ones that I called a cross between a tulip and a daisy, you are right to tell me it is a 'hybrid tea' shape I'm after.

funnyperson Fri 25-Oct-13 15:58:41

I think compassion would go very well with all the companions you have mentioned. This pink rose might go well with compassion and the other plants
www.waitrosegarden.com/plants/_/rosa-youre-beautiful--fryracy/classid.2000020640/

Dutchoma Sun 27-Oct-13 12:10:40

Right, I have taken the plunge and ordered from Peter Beale three Compassion roses and from Hayloft Geranium pheaum album and mourning widow. Hopefully I will not become one of them too soon.

I wanted some Michaelmas Daisies as well, but they only sold them in collections and I don't have the room for them. As my neighbour has a huge patch I may well beg a bit when they have finished flowering.

Celery55 Thu 31-Oct-13 13:35:04

Which way does the house face - when will the roses get sun? That affects which variety grows best
Also, maybe look at length of flowering season as well as disease resistance*
And be cautious with anything described as vigorous - it might need pruning so much to keep to hedge height you'll never see the flowers - in our soil Mme Alfred C mentioned by dutchoma can grow over the top of a house

*I put in a vote for shrub Cecile Brunner - little flowers though, but plentiful and early to bloom, carries on through summer and even now a few flowers are coming out. Not a strong scent but lovely, and classic 'rose' flowers.

Agree too much choice!

Celery55 Thu 31-Oct-13 13:36:44

Oops, * shouldn't have been against disease resistance - Cecile - isn't particularly disease resistant - meant to link to flowering season

Dutchoma Thu 31-Oct-13 14:03:23

The front of the house faces south Celery so they will get full sun. I have ordered now and have also brought some tulip bulbs today. The one thing that is still missing is a small Michaelmas daisy, so I have some colour in that little front garden throughout the year. The main job will be to keep the campanula in check, it is sprouting everywhere.

Shruti04 Fri 01-Nov-13 11:07:20

Climbing garden looks very beautiful with different types of flower plants and different types of hanging plants. You can try it on your balcony. As other person said, I also suggest you to planting roses in different colors as red, orange, pink and yellow.

Celery55 Fri 01-Nov-13 11:15:08

oops again, didn't read the whole thread before chucking in my six pennorth, thanks for your patience Dutchoma! Lovely choice - enjoy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now