Clearing a smallish flower bed - best way?

(3 Posts)
Hubb Wed 25-Sep-13 21:44:05

I'm a total beginner.. Can anyone advise the best way to clear a smallish flower bed. It's got weeds and some non flowering green stuff from the previous owners, and to be honest I don't know what's what, and want to start afresh.

Should I do weed killer or use some of that blanket covering stuff? Have tried digging up what's there but it has grown back now as I never did anything else with it.

Would like to get some mini bushes/shrubs in before winter, as I saw on another thread it could be good to have plants bedded in soon!?

Hope the above makes sense, TIA

ICameOnTheJitney Wed 25-Sep-13 22:02:47

Don't use weedkiller....there's no need and our population of bees is under serious threat due in part to weedkiller and pesticides. Get some gloves on and with a small fork, just dig them out...get the roots out too.

You could also put in some bulbs which will pop up in spring...put the shrubs towards the back of the bed unless you want it full of shrubs...if you want some flowers, you put them at the front as they're usually smaller and will need more light etc.

funnyperson Thu 26-Sep-13 04:46:10

You don't need weedkiller. I think you could dig out the roots then plant your bulbs and other plants and spread a mulch of shredded bark on which will help suppress weeds. You can always plant plants in spring which can avoid the angst of knowing whether young plants have survived the winter

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now