Recommendation for plum variety?

(6 Posts)

I used to have a blue tit and majories seedling, the blue tits were by far the tastier fruit and more beautiful tree, however the majorie far exceeded it in quantity. Most plums benefit from a partner, but are reliably self fertile. It's not essential by any means.
As you are considering two and already have a Victoria (again heavy fruiting) I would choose the blue tit.

Bearleigh Fri 27-Sep-13 13:58:39

I wouldn't get a Victoria on the basis that there are other more exciting varities - Victorias are easy to buy in the shops, whereas other varities aren't. I discovered the delights of unusual fruits when my mum ought a house with a Morello cherry tree inthe garden - they are sour cherries great for cooking, amd making cherry brandy. I have one of those now and also have a 3-year old quince - true quince, Cydonia - I have two beautiful fruits about to ripen, and am looking forward to apple and quince pie. In our old house I got enough one year to make some jam as well. Much more fun!

Our Blaisdon has done magnificently recently

I was basing it on this, but it sounds positive that yours is ok without.

earlgray Sun 22-Sep-13 17:24:54

I was going to suggest Victoria before I read your post. Have lived with a single one before and it used to have masses of fruit most years.
Not heard of benefit of 2nd variety though I am no expert!

We want to put in 2 plum trees, ready grown into fans. One will be a Victoria, but apparently a Victoria crops better with a second variety for pollination. Any suggestions for our second variety?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now