Allium Christophii seeds - need to put seed tray in the fridge...?

(8 Posts)
Erebus Sat 21-Sep-13 19:33:36

For '3-5 weeks'??! I just read that such seeds need to be cooled (3-5 deg C) to increase the likelihood of germination.

Do I really have to put the seed tray in the fridge for that long??!

Anyone else done that?

Rhubarbgarden Sun 22-Sep-13 08:03:42

Put the seed packet in the fridge; do the chilling before you sow the seeds in the seed tray.

Erebus Sun 22-Sep-13 09:10:51

I was wondering if I could do that- I'd never heard of anyone having to put the seed tray itself into the fridge!

this

Rhubarbgarden Sun 22-Sep-13 13:16:01

Ah, I see - they need moisture as well as cold. In that case I'd do what it says and put the whole seed tray in the fridge. it's a bit of a faff though

If seeds are complicated to germinate like this I tend to buy them as plants instead <unhelpful> although it is extra rewarding when you get a crop of plants after faffing around to such an extent!

Erebus Sun 22-Sep-13 15:02:43

It's a bloody nuisance

I have to ask myself if it's worth the effort! grin

I may just do a half size seed tray and see how I go with it. I may have to chuck out 'use by Jan 2007' jars of mint sauce etc to make room, mind....

funnyperson Sun 22-Sep-13 19:09:10

Erebus it is probably better (and years quicker) to get the bulbs

cantspel Sun 22-Sep-13 19:50:12

poundland were selling Allium Christophii for 5 bulbs for a £.

Not really worth filling up your fridge with seed trays at that price.

Erebus Sun 22-Sep-13 23:00:08

Blimey! Off I go to Poundland!

I like a challenge with seeds but not the extent, maybe, that my Pinot Grigio will budge over to make room in the fridge! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now