Doorstep pots - ideas for autumn/winter ?

(11 Posts)
didireallysaythat Sat 14-Sep-13 22:18:10

I've got a pot either side of my front door which I've been changing during the year to give me a little cheer when stepping out in the morning. I've had cow slips, hellebores, lobelia and currently pelagoniums. But what can I have with a bit of colour over the winter months ? All I can think of is cyclamen.. (I'm not keen on pansies).

Two pots, around 6 inches...

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sat 14-Sep-13 23:52:34

I am hopping on your thread to get ideas too! This is my lament EVERY year....and like you, I'm not keen on Pansies and Cyclamen! grin

echt Sun 15-Sep-13 07:33:32

Give cyclamens a chance, but the ones with small flowers; they have a glorious perfume. White and pale pink have the best niff.

didireallysaythat Mon 16-Sep-13 23:00:09

echt is it a particular variety of cyclamen that smell ie do I need to buy corns from somewhere special ? The regular ones in garden centres are the larger, odour free varieties...

Elsiequadrille Mon 16-Sep-13 23:04:34

Cyclamen and ivy for our winter baskets. Sorry, not very inspiring

TootiesFrootie Mon 16-Sep-13 23:16:20

I think you need to learn to love pansies. I used to dislike them as I thought they were 'old people' plants but I have come to like them and am now pleased to see their little faces grinning up at me grin
If you want a more modern look you could try dark, dark purple with white cyclymen.
I know they are a bit out of fashion but what about some ornimental cabbage. There are some lovely pale pink and white ones. You might have to order them online though.

TootiesFrootie Mon 16-Sep-13 23:17:06

I meant dark purple pansies with white cyclymen

fabergeegg Tue 17-Sep-13 01:16:10

Autumn flowering crocuses?

echt Tue 17-Sep-13 11:17:04

The smaller flowering ones were very easy to buy when I was last in the UK. I always bought the plants in flower.

Dawnywoo Tue 17-Sep-13 20:59:10

Violas. Absolutely Lovely. Dead easy to grow.

onefewernow Thu 19-Sep-13 15:29:06

Small evergreen shrubs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now