planning a greenhouse

(10 Posts)
tumteetum Mon 09-Sep-13 14:04:35

I have inherited some money this year, and have decided to use some for a greenhouse. It will be a fairly large leanto against a tall wall at the bottom of the garden. I could blow all my money and go for a beautiful cedar one, but is it worth spending this much? Would a tanalised wood one last ok and look good too? Or should I save my pennies and get a metal one? Opinions please...

Rhubarbgarden Mon 09-Sep-13 14:18:49

Personally, I'm saving up for an aluminium one from the likes of Alitex. I've had wood before and the maintenance is a pain. But it all depends on your budget, obviously.

Takver Mon 09-Sep-13 14:35:24

Personally I would definitely avoid the tanalised wood option. I'd choose a good quality aluminium one, as I think a well designed greenhouse always looks lovely, but if I didn't want metal, I'd go for cedar.

tumteetum Mon 09-Sep-13 16:02:59

Why would you avoid tanalised? Is it not long lasting? It appealed as I thought it could look nice but not need maintaining like cedar

Takver Mon 09-Sep-13 16:30:42

Tanalised fence posts certainly don't seem to last that long (compared to oak, for example) and then when they rot you're left with a toxic pile of wood that you can't even burn.

tumteetum Mon 09-Sep-13 17:36:19

I like the look of alitex but I think it would be beyond the budget as would have to bespoke to be leanto

tumteetum Tue 10-Sep-13 13:58:19

anyone out there with a tanalised one?

bumperella Tue 10-Sep-13 21:23:19

Cedar will be less maintenance than tanilised - cedar will go silvery if left untreated, but shouldn't rot. A tanilised model will rot much more readily than cedar. Other hardwoods are likely to be incredibly expensive. Look for Western Red Cedar and pay attention to teh thickness used. Aluminium is basically a no-maintenance option, and powder-coated models can look good.
For cedar models, Alton are a good manufacturer, also Gabrielle Ash (more expensive though).
I think quite a few manufacturers have lean-to models that are available off the peg, so wouldn't be as expensive as a bespoke model, not sure if you've looked into this or not. If you definitely need a bespoke model, Woodpecker Joinery seem to have a good reputation and aren't (quite) as terrifyingly expensive as some.... I LOVE Alitex, but they were just too expensive for me.

Takver Wed 11-Sep-13 08:45:14

Annoyingly I can't remember which manufacturer ours came from, its aluminium but a nice solid g/house with big single sheets of glass so more light (and easier to put up). Will ask DH if he can remember, I would def. recommend, I've been very pleased with it.

tumteetum Mon 16-Sep-13 13:11:38

ok, so really should be looking at cedar or powder coated aluminium I think. Woodpecker ones look good

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now