Delphiniums

(11 Posts)

Had some degree of success with top dressing the soil around the plants with a thick layer of gritty sand - slugs cant crawl on it. Needs to be replaced after heavy rain though.

Jux Thu 12-Sep-13 08:06:09

I did use some earlier this year. The snails just liquefied, and the slugs dried up. Where they were on paving, they are still there unless We cleared them away. Maybe I had a special type of pellet?

Rhubarbgarden Wed 11-Sep-13 22:50:03

Yes, slug pellets are that bad. Anything eating the poisoned slugs (birds, frogs, hedgehogs etc) will also be poisoned.

Some dogs seem to find the pellets appealing too; I know a Labrador who ate half a boxful after she broke into someone's potting shed (Miraculously she survived).

Jux Wed 11-Sep-13 19:10:48

Slug pellets? Is that really bad?

I have a lovely delicate blue delphinium which has survived in a flower bed since July. I'd hate it to get chomped when there's nothing else for those sluggybuggers.

I am raising a second lot of delphinium plugs as I made the mistake of putting the first batch in the ground and the slugs got them all hmm I don't have a greenhouse and so was going to over winter them in my shed (it has a window). If they survive, I might try them in containers as I couldn't bear to see them decimated again!

funnyperson Sun 01-Sep-13 15:21:11

I am nurturing some delphiniums in pots and plan to keep them in pots and plant them out in the spring

loopyloou Thu 29-Aug-13 19:35:39

We have loads of slugs and snails - despite having lots of blackbirds visiting the garden hmm Probably not worth me attempting to grow delphiniums, then?

Hope yours grow smile

bassetfeet Thu 29-Aug-13 18:52:15

loopy I have sent for them via the Mail blush ..yup I know . Free with postage.

Zadok this happened to mine a few years back when I was more solvent and bought some in spring from garden centre . Munch munch .
And we had thrushes then to eat the snails . None now around sadly.

Am thinking now to pot them in large container and bring them in if weather awful to garage ?

I so love them . thanks for replies smile

ZadokTheBeast Thu 29-Aug-13 16:46:22

Mine got eaten within 2 days, right down to the ground. They were established plants that I put in - bloody snails. So beware, they seem to be quite tasty! Nothing else was touched!

loopyloou Thu 29-Aug-13 16:44:05

Watching with interest. I love delphiniums smile. Where did you order them?

bassetfeet Thu 29-Aug-13 16:37:45

I have ordered some delphinium plug plants for my south facing border
Glorious flowers and very excited .
Can i plant them out in the border in the Autumn and overwinter them? Dont have a greenhouse sadly. If not where shall I look after them until spring? Thank you smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now