please help a novice with advice on containers and plants in autumn

(11 Posts)
soverylucky Wed 28-Aug-13 12:32:34

I must state that I know nothing and I mean nothing about gardening other than the difference between what is grass and what is not grass.
In May we got some cheap containers from the pound shop, put some compost in and planted some bedding plants. These were marigolds, geraniums and lobelia and one other that I can't remember the name of. It is a very small back yard and we just wanted something to brighten it up and look pretty.
We were very surprised to see that the plants did not die but grew and flowered very well indeed. They looked great. But now they are all starting to look a bit sorry for themselves. My questions are;
Do I just pull them all out and bin them and plant more next year or perhaps some new plants for the autumn?
Is there anything I can do to make them look nicer for a few more weeks or is that them done now for this year?
I don't have a shed or greenhouse etc .

Pootles2010 Wed 28-Aug-13 12:35:55

Watching thread with interest as I'm in similar situation -want nice autumn plants, our garden is all droopy now.

I've loads of things that look wonderful in May/June, but come September its all a bit crap. We're putting house on market so it needs smartening up!

soverylucky Wed 28-Aug-13 13:01:19

We are also selling! Great minds think alike!

Periwinkle007 Wed 28-Aug-13 19:58:10

I have no idea with gardening either but I would chuck them and replace them with pansies and cyclamen.

soverylucky Wed 28-Aug-13 21:31:58

thanks periwinkle

Pootles2010 Thu 29-Aug-13 13:54:15

Ha pansies and cyclamen are exactly what i've put in my hanging basket! Great minds indeed...

Yes pansies and cyclamen for this time of year. You could try some small every green shrubs as well which would see you through into the winter.

soverylucky Fri 30-Aug-13 20:08:42

thanks - pansies and cyclamen it is then - any suggestions for ever green shrubs?

debbiedlemur Fri 30-Aug-13 20:30:07

Heucheras also look good and they come in different colours too.

Heucheras are pretty, I ahve some lovely deep purple ones. Hebbe are nice evergreens and come in all colours.

cantspel Fri 30-Aug-13 21:36:57

You could add some bulbs like Crocus, Muscari and Dwarf Daffodil. I like Jack Snipe which are white with a yellow centre but there are others if you prefer the traditional yellow daffs.

If you like something trailing down some winter ivy looks nice as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now