mulch

(14 Posts)
redcaryellowcar Mon 26-Aug-13 12:48:36

That's it really... What should I use, I have heard so many mixed reports about what isn't good for the environment and what not to use I have got all confused and have nothing. My reasons for wanting something is to retain moisture and suppress weeds and make it look a bit nicer

funnyperson Mon 26-Aug-13 15:11:36

I'm not sure about what, but read somewhere recently that 6 ins is good in the autumn.
I put 4 ins of compost on this spring as advised by Monty and it worked wonders, so I will definitely be mulching again, probably after the bulbs have gone in in mid-late September/early October.
That some of it should be compost is clear, leaf mould will probably be good, some bark to provide structure and frost protection possibly. Nothing too damp as that could rot the crowns of plants and bulbs.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Mon 26-Aug-13 15:29:43

I think peat is the one to be avoided on environmental grounds.

I usually use composted bark, although I am a bit stingy and don't do the whole generous six inches.

echt Tue 27-Aug-13 12:54:10

Mulch with bigger bits is better than fine, though it looks less tidy, it lets in the rain. Leave a space around plants to avoid crown rot.

FrankSpenser Tue 27-Aug-13 20:11:51

What is mulch?

FrankSpenser Tue 27-Aug-13 20:13:20

I don't have a garden BTW, just a yard with pots of this, that and the other around it.

Before this, I have never had a proper garden.

Mulch is a layer of 'stuff' that you put on top of the soil to improve it and/or keep the ground moist. People use all sorts - manure, bark, garden compost etc. I sometimes put a layer of bark or small pebbles on top of my pots in the summer and it stops them drying out so quickly in the sun.

sittinginthesun Thu 29-Aug-13 08:18:12

Don't you all find that it just gets used as a toilet by all the local cats?

Surprisingly not. My own cats sometimes go in it, but I prefer that to them going in the house blush

FrankSpenser Thu 29-Aug-13 16:27:04

oh right. So the huge bags of Ornamental Bark chips in the garden sections of B&Q is to keep things moist? I didn't know. I'm gonna try it out! My pots get so dry, its a PITA to replenish if I'm honest.

Rhubarbgarden Sun 01-Sep-13 20:38:20

My favourite mulch is strulch

Liara Sun 01-Sep-13 21:23:26

I use horse manure. It breaks down to fantastic soil. Full of weeds though.

I have used gravel before, and although it looks great and does retain moisture beautifully and lasts a good long while, it stops you from adding soil improver so the flower beds gradually get depleted.

cantspel Mon 02-Sep-13 00:49:39

I use a mix of leaf mould and my own garden clippings.

The twigs and pruning go through the shredder and i save them for mulching after my bulbs have gone in.

CuttedUpPear Mon 02-Sep-13 08:06:31

Be aware that using bark chippings on soil will take away nitrogen (that plants need for their roots) as it decomposes. Therefore it's fine on borders as long as your soil is of good quality but on pots etc it will be competing with the plant for nitrogen.
However if you feed your pots regularly it should be ok.

I mulch my pots with pebbles!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now