Humongous weeds in lawn - help

(10 Posts)
BlingBang Fri 23-Aug-13 11:20:14

The lawn is awful, giant weeds like dandelions and those spiky star shaped one s all over one half. What's best way to get rid or at least improve? Would imagine weed killer will kill the lawn given the amount of them. Saw those pull weeds put devices at Homebase - are they any good and easy to use?

daisydee43 Tue 27-Aug-13 20:08:57

Yes they are great - patch magic is also good

pull the big ones out with a wee removal tool and then call Green Thumb (they are a franchise so should have one locally) and they will sort it out. Not expensive at all and they come in every 3-4 months and treat the law for you for about £15 a visit. Worth every penny, they are fab and our lawn has never looked better.

CuttedUpPear Mon 02-Sep-13 08:03:31

Try applying some weed n feed which is available all over the place in various guises. Now is a good time to apply it.
If you find that this has killed half the lawn then you can sow grass seed over the bald patches.

I've just done this to my lawn which was around half plantain. I anticipate a lot of bald bits but am ready with the grass seed for an autumn sowing!

plipplops Tue 03-Sep-13 19:42:54

Get Green Thumb (think they're everywhere) to come and treat it. For £15 four times a year (for a smallish garden) they feed it and kill the weeds with some super amazing industrial weedkiller that got rid of all the weeds I'd been struggling agains for ages and ages. Couldn't recommend them highly enough grin)

ppeatfruit Mon 16-Sep-13 16:08:45

The super industrial weed killer that also kills the insects etc, and the birds after they've eaten the dead insects, it's also bad for humans esp. DCs IMO you can just mow your lawn and it keeps everything down without chemicals. There soon won't be any effing nature left if we all contaminate the land. Sorry about the rant but I'm an organic gardener and have a beautiful garden without any of that muck. But with lots of butterflies etc.

TootiesFrootie Mon 16-Sep-13 23:59:10

I apply weedkiller directly to each weed in my lawn. It's a big lawn but I manage to keep it virtually weed free. You just have to keep on top of it.
It helps keep you weeds down if your lawn is otherwise happy so you should feed it, aerate it, scarify it and reseed it where nessecery.

ppeatfruit Tue 17-Sep-13 07:53:24

But a lawn is just a green outside carpet. Weeds are jusr plants growing where you don't want them. Grass is a weed actually. I' prefer having insects and birds in my garden than a 'weed' free lawn I just keep mowing and the less strong weeds stop growing without any effing chemicals thanks.

TootiesFrootie Tue 17-Sep-13 10:41:49

I admit to being a bit fussy about my lawn blush but I absolutely love it. It is so lush and, umm, green. grin At the moment there are three magpies hopping about , a squirrel on the fence and a blackbird in a tree but no weeds I have a family of wrens living in a low hedge and there are robins, tits and barn owls about.

I have planted a animal friendly garden and have plenty of butterflies and bees. I have a lot of bug friendly sedums out at the moment. I have planted lots of dence berry forming shrubs which are attractive to birds.

If you keep your lawn in tip top condition then the amount of weedkiller needed to directly spot-kill the weeds is negligible. Correct feeding, sarifying and aerating do a much better job of keeping the weeds away than chemicals.

ppeatfruit Tue 17-Sep-13 11:43:01

(I hope that your birds don't eat any treated weeds). Another thing about weeds they can also be used for medicine (nettles and dandelions are amazing). I have a special corner where I grow them in my garden esp.for the insects and birds, the whole of nature is useful slugs are great for frogs for example. I sometimes put down coffee grounds to deter them but now there is no need.

If you want a really wildlife friendly garden don't bother with spot treating just pour boiling water over them they die immediately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now