Help! How long will my plums last on the tree?

(8 Posts)
ShoeWhore Thu 22-Aug-13 17:17:38

Sorry forgot to say thank you!

ShoeWhore Thu 22-Aug-13 17:16:53

Better get picking them then! Will mention it to my neighbour who is feeding the cat but she's not usually keen on picking stuff from the garden for some reason!

fuckwittery Thu 22-Aug-13 16:20:39

*thanks for the plums

fuckwittery Thu 22-Aug-13 16:19:56

Nope, sorry, they'll fall off and rot and there will be wasps everywhere. We have three plum trees and you need to pick daily when its time. A lot of my earlier plums were maggotty this year even though they looked fine when picked. (We three varieties not sure what called but they ripen at different times) Dont think you can freeze the fruit as is even if you can get someone to pick. If they are the slightest bit ripe get them down now and make jam. have you got a neighbour who will have ghe rest while you are away? might make you a nice plum crumble to say thanks for the
You need a ladder to pick the top ones and my tip is a child's fishing net to get the very high ones down!

Idespair Thu 22-Aug-13 16:19:56

I doubt they will sit happily for a couple of weeks. We have a plum tree and the plums are mainly green, on the way to purple but some have already been attacked by wasps, creepy crawly things and gone rotten. Some have grown in clusters touching each other which seems to rot them even quicker.

moonbells Thu 22-Aug-13 16:14:03

Watch them and gently prod daily and the instant they show signs of ripening, get them off.

If you don't, the wasps will. Nothing worse than picking a plum (or gage) and discovering the hole too late to avoid the furious buzzy thing that just came out...

wonkylegs Thu 22-Aug-13 16:08:56

Watching with interest.
We've just moved into a garden with 3 plum trees laden with fruit. Ours aren't ripe yet though. I've never had plum trees before so have no idea what to expect/do.

ShoeWhore Tue 20-Aug-13 22:22:38

Very excited as in its third year my plum tree has a very impressive crop of tiny purple plums! We tried a few tonight and they were just on the firmer side of ripe (we left some on that felt harder as well)

Not sure what to do with them all as we are off on hols on Friday. I will be gutted if I get back and they have all fallen off! Do I need to pick them and do something with them to freeze or will they sit there happily for a couple of weeks?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now