ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Potting shed summer party

(1000 Posts)

Following on from the Blooming into Flaming June thread and all others before it.

The potting shed is open for summer. Elderflower wine aplenty and room for all. Monty will be along later...

Rhubarbgarden Fri 27-Dec-13 22:14:30

Wow. shock

That's top dollar. My advice would be to shop around, have a look at other garden designers' work and get a selection of quotes. You say you like this one's work, and that is important, but there will be others you'll like too and who won't charge over the odds.

Wish I could charge that kind of money - I'd have my greenhouse in no time grin

<feeling cheap>

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Fri 27-Dec-13 22:18:31

When I read your post earlier, I thought your designer sounded rather expensive - even allowing for differences in the market here and where you are - and I'd be inclined to go with Rhubarb's advice.

I'd rather spend the money on plants and greenhouse and wing it. I'd get it wrong but that's quite fun too sometimes.

New thread here

But to keep Rhubarb happy I'm doing my best to fill this one up too...

Rhubarbgarden Fri 27-Dec-13 22:27:52

I have no gardening resolutions this year. To spend as little money as possible I suppose. hmm

Actually it would be good to get my design finished at least. Then when I've got it on paper I can at least start work on the bits I can do myself - marking out borders, digging out existing plants, preparing the ground etc. Then if I can generate a bit of cash from gardening jobs here and there I can buy the plants one border at a time. Hard landscaping is another matter so paths, steps, pergola and so on will just have to wait.

I guess these are my garden plans rather than resolutions.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Fri 27-Dec-13 22:30:47

That sounds like a pretty sound plan, Rhubarb!

Rhubarbgarden Fri 27-Dec-13 22:33:14

Thank you Bertha smile

Rhubarbgarden Fri 27-Dec-13 22:34:25

And thank you Maud! Cross posting all over the place tonight. That's what comes of watching Abba whilst MNing!

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Fri 27-Dec-13 22:36:32

We'll reach 1000 posts in no time!

Rhubarbgarden Fri 27-Dec-13 22:41:19

Ok here's one to use up the posts: what was your favourite plant of 2013? My vote would be Magnolia. They were so gorgeous this year. I didn't get one planted but it's still on the wish list.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Fri 27-Dec-13 22:45:21

That's a tough one. I think my favourite last year was rose Darcey Bussell, but I am very fond too of geraniums and heucheras.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Fri 27-Dec-13 22:46:25

By last year, I mean this year, obviously. ::blush::

Castlelough Sat 28-Dec-13 11:02:23

Thanks for the advice about the garden designer. I think I will shop around a bit. That is expensive and maybe somebody else could be just as helpful for a lot less. Rhubarb if you are visiting Ireland next year let me know and the job is yours!!! wink

I sort of know what I want IN and FROM the garden, I have lots of ideas. I just need somebody who can put all that on paper so that DH and any workmen we get in to help will be able to follow my ideas. I'm really daunted by it. It is field (2/3 of an acre) on 3 sides of the house. Not been rotavated in 20+ years (if ever!) and is all sloping and uneven as the land slopes gently downhill away from the house into a valley to the back and one side. I actually would be terrified to do it without some help at the start. My 'vegetable patch' was a pitiful effort last year. It made me realise what a huge job the garden will be. I don't mind working hard or making mistakes but without a proper plan DH will pinch half my garden for cows...hmm

Castlelough Sat 28-Dec-13 11:04:51

Favourite plant this year has been my sweet pea. I made tall teepees of bamboo canes in a pot either side of the door and the sweet peas climbed up beautifully! smile

WynkenBlynkenandNod Sat 28-Dec-13 11:31:08

What a great size garden Castlelough, though can see how it is daunting.

Favourite plant of the year was Clematis Early Sensation which looked fabulous when little else was around. And I had a trough of cosmos purity which went mad and looked lovely.

Rhubarb do you have a plant wish list ? If you post it I wonder if any of us can help with cuttings, splitting plants etc ?

Castlelough Sat 28-Dec-13 17:18:22

I've a bucket full of rose cuttings.

My mother insisted that the way you take a rose cutting is to cut a huge hunk of a long cutting....hmm, which I did to keep her happy.

This doesn't look a bit like what I read on google though...

The cuttings have huge red rosehips at the tops. Should I snip these off?

Does it sound at all hopeful? confused

WynkenBlynkenandNod Sat 28-Dec-13 18:08:34

Yes think you snip off the rosehip. Cut at a slant so you know which way up, then cut the bottom flat under a leaf node. Whole cutting about 30cm long, 2/3 buried in soil. Or something like that as that is from memory.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Sat 28-Dec-13 18:10:18

Other questions to fill thread. What are your 2014 gardening resolutions ?

Mine is not to have 11 narrows come next September.
Sit and enjoy the garden more.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Sat 28-Dec-13 18:12:00

What do you have flowering currently that shouldn't be ?

2 roses, Candy tuft and a cosmos thinks about opening another bud.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Sat 28-Dec-13 18:15:59

Lessons learnt in 2013.

Don't over plant a border.
Spend time improving soil .
I have an addiction to buying plants.
Don't be lazy and sort appropriate supports for plants when you out them in.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Sat 28-Dec-13 18:18:40

Best gardening moment of 2013

Looking out of the kitchen door to see flowers in the back garden for the first time in 10 years.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Sat 28-Dec-13 18:23:29

Hardwood rose cuttings

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sat 28-Dec-13 18:25:51

My lessons learnt:

Plant plants when you buy them

Don't overplant, as congested plants don't thrive

Spend less time working and more relaxing/admiring your handiwork

Best gardening moment:

Picking cut flowers from the garden

WynkenBlynkenandNod Sat 28-Dec-13 19:01:54

Forgot one, favourite rose.

Not sure about that one at the moment. Although not hugely keen on yellow roses, Golden Showers (here when we came) is very reliable, not prone to disease and just keeps on flowering most of the year.

This thread is not accepting new messages.