Potting shed summer party

(1000 Posts)

Following on from the Blooming into Flaming June thread and all others before it.

The potting shed is open for summer. Elderflower wine aplenty and room for all. Monty will be along later...

Aethelfleda Mon 09-Dec-13 14:30:42

Hi notanother, sadly I don't think anything will be fruiting for a few years yet! The motley twigs maiden trees and raspberry canes are in and tied to the perches, need to put my three bargain hydrangeas in the front garden I think, as they don't quite look right next to the hebe I planted. Planning fail smile

Will be trying to get some chard going on the windowsill this week, at least if I get a moment spare....

Aethelfleda Mon 09-Dec-13 14:32:38

Ooh and it's more about veg than flowers, but this little number is a fantastic armchair read about gardening in a small space from scratch and is quite relaxing/inspiring!

Had a day off today and actually managed a couple of hours in the garden. The long bed has now been tidied up and fully mulched so it's all tucked up cosy for winter. I have some early bulbs coming through too (possibly alliums) but I think they do that every year so I'm sure they're fine. I then tidied up the veg plot too and mulched some cleared patches.

I have some healthy looking fox gloves that I've grown from seed in a pot, I'm debating whether to put them in the long bed or in the shady front garden bit with the bluebells etc. Might do a bit of both.

Meant to say, is anyone else watching the Great British Garden revival? Monty was on. I've missed him. Joe Swift on now, not so keen on him...

HumphreyCobbler Mon 09-Dec-13 20:43:20

I am not that keen on Joe Swift. I was really surprised he was Margaret Drabble's son, they don't seem to go together at all.

When was the Great British Garden revival on? I can't seem to find it!

Your alliums will be fine NotanotherNewNappy, mine seem to come up about now too.

BBC2 7-8pm Humphrey. Did you find it?

HumphreyCobbler Mon 09-Dec-13 22:05:52

No, I was too late. Is it on again?

I think it's a series with various gardeners do a segment on a chosen theme. Monty did wildflower meadows and Joe Swift did front gardens this week.

Here you go.

Rhubarbgarden Thu 12-Dec-13 07:23:15

Thanks for the tip re the Garden Revival programme. Will have to find time to watch that.

Was on again tonight. Topiary and Roof Gardens today.

Thanks , I'm pleased to know my alliums look set to thrive... Or at least survive!

British Garden revival looks fab... Shame it's not on iplayer.

AIBU to think my new neighbours are nuts? They have a new baby and haven't had the time or energy to tackle their back garden since they moved in this summer. E.g. They have an apple tree but just left all of the apples to fall & rot and haven't cleared their lawn of weeds or other debris yet. This week the woman's dad has dug over their front lawn and taken out an old rose bush, which they are going to replace with.... a pear tree and an assortment of shrubs. Seriously, does that sound like a low maintenance front garden to you? What are they thinking? And how long before the ear tree destroys our foundations?

Rhubarbgarden Thu 12-Dec-13 23:10:55

Maybe her Dad's gone rogue and does stuff unprompted. Dads are like that, in my experience especially FIL.

I just watched the topiary half on iplayer. Very inspiring. Loved the herd of elephants! Too snoozy now though so will watch roof gardens later.

funnyperson Fri 13-Dec-13 10:19:50

Oh dear: the oak tree has finally dumped all the rest of its leaves and they are lying soggily on the lawn; it is too wet to rake them up as I would only end up compacting the lawn. The front garden is a mess. The bulbs still haven't all been planted. The other plants are going to stay in pots now till the spring and Christmas is nearly here. I have unsown wild flower seeds left over from the spring. I am a gardening failure. The only thing is I haven't paved it over. Yet.
I am making a sage wreath for the front door (nice job). I gave up holly wreaths after they kept snagging people's clothing on the way in.
Then I am off the Oxford to listen to wassails etc.
When it dries up a bit I will ruthlessly prune the buddleia. Into elephant shapes, obviously.

funnyperson Fri 13-Dec-13 10:36:03

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrZnZ6MZtVA
A wassail song: one of my favourites

funnyperson Fri 13-Dec-13 10:45:11

And this one of course
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUuj1006tCQ

funnyperson Fri 13-Dec-13 10:52:50

and this is the one we sing st home every Christmas (cheesy version)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnvMQMLGSlU

funnyperson Fri 13-Dec-13 15:29:36

I have been thinking and think it will be better to turn the buddleia into a peacock; I think the buddleia flowers will look well in the peacock's tail,

funnyperson Fri 13-Dec-13 20:39:58

I watched the programme on houseplants today -Great British Garden Revival. I thought someone ought to tell the plant hunter who nearly got executed in the African jungle that the reason garden centres don't sell so many house plants these days is that a lot of people get their houseplants from...ahem...IKEA.
Dobbies also have a very good selection.

I once went through a succulent phase on the grounds they needed little watering and could look...erm...geeky...as there were many varieties which one could group together in sweet little pots so as to look like an..erm....collecter....(plant hunter image without being a plant hunter in danger of execution).

Also I was attracted by the whole 'plant-a-leaf-and-you -will-get-a-new-plant' concept, which can be applied to succulents.

Anyway the little plant leaves all died and the parent plant died too, due to being deprived of most of its leaves for propagation. So after that I left the remaining succulents well alone. They have thrived. Have even accompanied the DC to university and back. I think I might repot them and get some more.

I got an air plant which also died, though I now see possibly it was too near a dry window and should have been in the bathroom.

The orchid is however putting out flowers, and has clearly been thrilled that I have been too busy to look after it.

funnyperson Fri 13-Dec-13 20:52:29

I found the whole house plant thing bemusing. I'm sure it was all about the Aspidistra and the Swiss cheese plant and the Coleus and the Maidenead fern when I was younger (none of which I now own) yet those plants didn't get a mention, and this season appears to be all about the Streptocarpus and the Peace lily and the indoor ficus.

funnyperson Fri 13-Dec-13 20:54:14

Oh dear that's a lot of posts in a row. Are you all out at school plays?

Good evening Funny. You're not talking to yourself, honest. smile

I loved the elephants too, they made me smile; although I think I'd have lived more happily with the cat. Even DH wanted the cat. We don't have any hedges though...

Rhubarbgarden Fri 13-Dec-13 22:07:05

I'm here too. I have food poisoning and you are entertaining me, thank you. Too feeble to chat properly though. sad

funnyperson Sat 14-Dec-13 10:33:28

I loved the cats best, I agree. Yew and box seem to be best for topiary. Round our way there is a lot of laurel and cotoneaster, not so good for topiary.

Anyway, it is such a lovely crisp sunny morning that I have raked all the leaves up and put them in the wooden compost pen, which is now entirely (two months after buying it) full. The lawn is now visible again, and the robin is chirping happily, looking for uncovered worms no doubt. However the blue tits which appear to be living in the dogwood have not as yet discovered the birch nesting box I put up last month a la Monty.

I keep thinking about the stipa giganteum/sanguisorba school of gardening (Piet whatshisname Oudolph) especially after the feature on Dove cottage which was nice. I dislike Pampas grass so am hesitant about Stipa. Perhaps I'll visit these gardens next year and see what they are like.

I am going to get a bonsai Bodhi tree. Ficus religiosa.

funnyperson Sat 14-Dec-13 10:37:58

I hope you get better soon rhubarb It is quite nice to sit in the garden with tea when not feeling well, even in the winter!

WynkenBlynkenandNod Sun 15-Dec-13 18:08:56

Hope you feel better Rhubarb. Bit gutted I've missed most of the Great Garden Revival thing. Been a bit of a week, Mum has deteriorated again and gone back into the CH. I am on talking terms with my Brother who seems to have had a miserable 3 months trying to deal with her and realises a tiny bit of what I went through.

A big thank you to Bertha who suggested on my started in a panic when I realised the Christmas decorations had vanished thread that I make a wreath. Felt too tired yesterday but decided I really should today, especially as DH found and old oasis base in the loft.

This is when the garden came into it's own. Loads of conifer, rosemary, oregano, holly, ivy berries, choisya, cerinthe, cotoneaster berries around and it's come together really well plus looks better than the ready made one I've lost. Tomorrow I'm going to add some rose hips as a finishing touch. Definitely one to repeat next year. Like the sound of the sage one but all mine is up at the allotment.

This thread is not accepting new messages.