aarrggghhhh, killed tomatoes with kindness?

(17 Posts)
Jux Fri 12-Jul-13 14:22:40

Blimey! I'm only just getting flowers.

I saw my first bee in our garden about 5 days ago so I've been buying all the remaindered bee-friendly flowers I can find and planting them all week, for encouragement. Tom flowers would have been wasted a week ago, but this morning I saw at least 5 bees flying around while I watered. (And I've been killing slugs and snails with pellets this year too.)

Hooray! Maybe we'll have tomatoes this year!

RippingYarns Fri 12-Jul-13 14:14:53

<whispers>

i think i have some tomatoes coming now too

we shall have chutney after all grin

nearlyreadytopop Fri 12-Jul-13 13:51:42

wooo, I have tomatoes! ! tiny green onesgrin do I feed them now?

purplewithred Sun 07-Jul-13 20:26:35

flowers coming to nothing tends to mean poor pollination. Gently shake them, mist them with water, brush them with a soft brush or be glad the insects will be around now the weather is improving.

EeyoreIsh Sun 07-Jul-13 20:23:02

I think two of my plants have blight sad I'm gutted.

RippingYarns Sun 07-Jul-13 17:28:30

I chop them off as lots of leaves use lots of water, and since mine are in a bag, that's effort I can't be arsed making :-D

nearlyreadytopop Sun 07-Jul-13 11:39:21

should I be chopping the big leaves of my plants? confused mine are in the greenhouse in growbags and have a few poxy little flowers

EeyoreIsh Fri 05-Jul-13 17:11:23

Well, that's more than I've got so far. But I think I just need more patience.

RippingYarns Fri 05-Jul-13 17:07:04

could be, i've chopped all the huge leaves off so hopefully they will pick up again soon

i want to make chutney, and pasta sauce, and greek salads grin

probs have enough to go in a cheese sarnie

EeyoreIsh Fri 05-Jul-13 17:02:46

I blame the rubbish start to the year... The weather has probably left your tomatoes traumatised.

Ignore them for a few weeks and you'll probably have a fine crop!

RippingYarns Fri 05-Jul-13 16:56:30

i've been doing all that, these are outside in a sunny place

i've broken them, haven't i?

EeyoreIsh Fri 05-Jul-13 16:52:40

Ah yes, good point about pollination. I have been known to hand pollinate mine with a fine paintbrush blush

EeyoreIsh Fri 05-Jul-13 16:51:55

Oh sad have you been feeding it?

MooncupGoddess Fri 05-Jul-13 16:51:46

Odd. Are they inside? If so, give them a gentle shake every so often to encourage pollination.

RippingYarns Fri 05-Jul-13 16:49:54

the flowers are coming to nothing though, i've had dead flowers for over a week and the fruit just isn't forming

i have a hanging basket plant that is teeming with fruit confused

EeyoreIsh Fri 05-Jul-13 16:48:44

I think it's just too early in the year. I've got really good growth on mine, but only just starting to get flowers through. And I'm in the sunny South coast.

RippingYarns Fri 05-Jul-13 16:43:07

i've got a grow bag with lovely bushy tomato plants in, but no fruit forming

i think i've over-fed them - what can i do to save them, or have i got to put this year down to experience?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now