best thingy for getting rid of weeds on large areas of patio/drive?

(10 Posts)
Rhubarbgarden Tue 02-Jul-13 19:52:51

Yep.

LowLevelWhinging Tue 02-Jul-13 09:45:56

I take it you can walk on it and it won't mind?

Rhubarbgarden Mon 01-Jul-13 20:01:59

Thyme loves gravel. You'll need to have a very thorough weeding session first (I would spray with Roundup) then sow the seed. It's quite slow to get going but so worth it.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Mon 01-Jul-13 19:19:16

Yes, channel your inner Ripley!

LowLevelWhinging Mon 01-Jul-13 19:00:10

OMG, I did not know such a thing existed!

I''l be like THIS grin

And I like the idea of the thyme. Would I need to remove all the gravel from between each stone? Or do you just chuck a load of seeds around?

NeverBeenToMe Mon 01-Jul-13 18:57:35

I think a salt solution can work - look on google or Pinterest for the "recipe".

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Mon 01-Jul-13 18:31:51

I came on here to suggest a weed wand, but Rhubarbgarden's suggestion of creeping thyme sounds lovely. So why not scorch the weeds and then plant thyme?

Rhubarbgarden Mon 01-Jul-13 18:03:57

Sow creeping thyme into the gravel so that this fills all the cracks leaving no space for weeds. You'll still get the odd one, but far less so it'll be easier to deal with.

cantspel Mon 01-Jul-13 17:43:30
LowLevelWhinging Mon 01-Jul-13 17:34:45

The stupid people who owned our house before us put down patio with millions of small square stones with just tiny gravel between them instead of mortar or whatever. Which means that weeds grow up between every. single. one.

There's no way I can keep them down by hand. I've tried a hand held pump action spray but, tbf, there's so many of them the muscles in my hand can't manage the whole area!

I've also tried a soluble weed killer administer via a watering can, but it doesn't seem to have been very effective.

Any advice please?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now