Novice at work - Cuttings from Lemon balm

(13 Posts)
corblimeymadam Sat 15-Jun-13 08:04:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

corblimeymadam Sat 15-Jun-13 08:07:32

WynkenBlynkenandNod Sat 15-Jun-13 09:02:58

I haven't done lemon balm but have rooted rosemary and basil in water. It takes a bit of time I think though. Change the water regularly and give it another couple of weeks and hopefully you'll see them starting to grow.

PipkinsPal Sat 15-Jun-13 09:06:04

I have a pot of lemon balm and somehow or other it has "jumped" into another pot of herbs and rooted itself confused.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Sat 15-Jun-13 09:21:05

I'd read it was quite invasive Pipkinspal! I'd imagine that you could just cut bits and stick them round the edge of a pot of compost with plastic bag on the top as an alternative method.

Mirage Sat 15-Jun-13 11:01:51

It is very invasive.I spend a lot of time in various gardens fighting a losing battle against it.It seems to self seed and send out runners very easily.

Pufflemum Sat 15-Jun-13 11:03:57

I agree, it will grow anywhere and everywhere. Just pull up a bit from the roots, stick it in another hole in the garden and I am sure it will take. Don't bother buying the root stuff! Smells nice though.

funnyperson Sat 15-Jun-13 20:18:39

What Wynken said.

Showtime Sat 15-Jun-13 23:16:51

There are probably bits rooted already round base of plant, and these will be less fragile than water-rooted. Empty Marmite jars make good pots for water-rooting, as they exclude light.

corblimeymadam Sun 16-Jun-13 07:54:56

corblimeymadam Sun 16-Jun-13 07:55:32

Showtime Sun 16-Jun-13 12:38:32

It's better for roots to be kept in dark - sorry I didn't make it clear, and although most plants like light, they don't need it to root. Generally, roots are stronger if grown in soil, although it can be quicker in water,
they have minor shock when planted into soil to grow.

corblimeymadam Sun 16-Jun-13 13:26:22

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now