Immediate help required - need neigh our shuelding trees tomorrow

(12 Posts)
Ohhelpohnoitsa Thu 13-Jun-13 20:54:06

Please offer your advice. I need to block out an absolute monstrosity my neighbours have just introduced. I need 3 trees (I think) and the nearest to the house is about 5 or 6m. I need something that will be about 8-10feet tall and bushy tree on the top - nit conifers as I dont like them and not eucalyptus as its the wrong coloyr in our garden - too silvery. Any ideas. I am off to the garden centre at 8.30am so a quick response would be great if you can.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Thu 13-Jun-13 20:55:15

Sorry for typos - less haste needed.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 13-Jun-13 21:15:27

What growing conditions have you got? In the sun? In the ground or in pots? Is the boundary a wall, a fence or a hedge?

Ohhelpohnoitsa Thu 13-Jun-13 21:29:41

Oh yes, good points. Would be near a fence but can plant up to 2 or 3m from the fence. that side of the garden faces north east but on a hill so trees would get full sun from about noon. soil is average, not clay, not sandy, fairly alkaline - rhododendrons & camilias don't fair well but most things have grown well. Have a row of laurels which I love but the troublesome areas will be on slopes so we need something we dont have to cut frequently or too neatly. I definitely need evergreen.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Thu 13-Jun-13 21:31:53

comeintothegardenmaude, where are of the country do you live please. If it's not near me so I can remain anonymous and not start a rift with my neighbours (!) I will pm you pictures and you can see.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 13-Jun-13 21:41:31

What's the rest of your garden like? How quickly do you want the tree/shrub to reach 8"?

Amelanchier is lovely but may eventually get too big.

Cornus kousa is also very pretty.

Viburnum tinus may be a more manageable size.

Fatsia japonica is a lovely architectural plant.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 13-Jun-13 21:42:38

Cross-posts. I am in London but have not recently erected a hideous structure in my garden!

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 13-Jun-13 21:57:44

Is it an option to attach trellis to the fence and grow climbers up it? Roses, honeysuckle and clematis will quickly reach the top.

Another thing that is often suggested, when you want to block out an eyesore, is not to try to hide it completely, but to break up the silhouette, as that will distract the eye. Tall, thin trees or shrubs (such as non-invasive bamboo or silver birch) might then be an option.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Thu 13-Jun-13 22:00:39

I have a fatsia somewhere, I. could move that. I also have two vibernum - are they the ones that get a bit smelly at times though? Your first two are deciduous. We will need them more in winter than now, so lovely as they are, I cant have them. I have just had a wander outaide and see there is what looks like a native self seeded tree - probably about 6' tall already. I might see how big the root is and move it. I dont know if it is deciduous though.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 13-Jun-13 22:04:02

I was also going to suggest fruit trees, but they fail the evergreen test too.

I've got several viburnums and wouldn't describe them as smelly.

madcows Fri 14-Jun-13 10:04:59

We have both laurel and pittosporum (including a lovely variegated one) to block ugly things. Don't know how slow/fast growing the Pittosporum is - but ours has grown huge (so huge in fact that we had to chop the top off it...) but our garden was ignored for about 10 years before we moved in.

We also have some vibernums... smell not a problem!

BlogOnTheTyne Sat 15-Jun-13 19:15:48

I got some lovely evergreens - photinia red robin and ligustrum japonica from a company that sells mature trees and screening trees. The former are a shiny green leaf but the leaves go red where new growth starts and look lovely most of the year round. Right now they're also in blossom - clusters of pinky white. The ligustrum is really just privet on a long trunk and you can get either the japonica - ie glossy dark green leaves or the variegated sort that are edged with creamy yellow on each leaf. Both also flower and attract bees etc.

These have successfully screened out a trampoline and nuisance neighbours climbing up high in their own garden - and must be about 8 to 10 ft tall now. They're compact, rather then spreading and you can prune them to get them even more compact. They're very hardy and difficult to kill off!

It was a v expensive option but defintiely worth it. The tree company I used was Majestic Trees and they even delivered and planted them and were v helpful but there are many other companies I think that do the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now