Delphiniums and Slugs

(10 Posts)
MissFoodie Wed 12-Jun-13 18:44:09

I just received a delphinium plant and found out that slugs love them....
it's like the annual slug convention outside at the moment so any ideas how I can keep them off it???
Was thinking copper tape but dont know how I can surround the base with it???? it's about 50 cm tall at the moment

aircooled Wed 12-Jun-13 19:34:00

Cut the base off a 2litre (or suitable size) plant pot and stick a line of the copper tape around the middle of the pot . Push it into the soil around the plant. Eliminate any slugs inside the ring - pellets if you have to or something more 'eco' - and the delphinium should thrive - assuming the b******s don't sneak onto the leaves from a neighbouring plant. (Plant pot not very attractive but hopefully soon hidden by foliage.) Hopefully. Slugs do travel underground....

My newly planted-out sunflowers have been felled by tiny slugs nibbling away at the base. It hasn't even been raining!

MissFoodie Wed 12-Jun-13 20:02:37

oh good idea! I can use the 2 litre pot it came in, have ordered copper tape and "eco" pellets (iron phosphate)...
was also thinking about trying nematodes????

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Wed 12-Jun-13 20:53:41

Nematodes are great, but you have to have the ideal combination of temperature and no heavy rain.

Pfaffer Wed 12-Jun-13 20:54:43

Would slugs eat them? Delphiniums are super poisonous.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Wed 12-Jun-13 21:25:29

Every delphinium I have ever planted has been obliterated by slugs. That the slugs might have died of poisoning is my only consolation.

MissFoodie Thu 13-Jun-13 00:23:12

lol

LayMizzRarb Thu 13-Jun-13 16:14:25

They have been at my Gerberas too! If I lift the container on to my patio table, will the slugs make the effort to climb up the table legs to rech it?

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 13-Jun-13 18:35:45

Hmm. Hard to know. I find snails in all sorts of unlikely places (such as the top storey of the growhouse) and yet the cosmos seedlings which are usually prime snail fodder and which I have on the garden table have been untouched.

WildThongsHeartString Thu 13-Jun-13 21:40:28

I've had a lot of success (compared to last years slugfest) by using nematodes every 6 weeks since Easter, so 3 doses so far. Even the hostas are in good condition. My neighbour has used the 'water in' slug poison and says it has been good too.

I have had a few big snails with shells but nothing like last year when they ate all my bedding plants and an established shrub too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now