what flowers/plants are the easiest to grow, that come back each year?

(138 Posts)

so far we have done quite well with strawberries, they have come back, a fushia, dianthus, mini apple tree, and some lillies look like that are coming back, but no buds yet

so looking for a few more ideaas

clematis- I've got one just about to flower now
My neighbour has one that thrives on neglect in the front garden
I've got a Nelly Moser clematis that had a bucket of cement rested on it- and it still grows grin

Buddleia are pretty hardy (grow like weeds at the railway)

Lizzabadger Sat 08-Jun-13 20:40:21

I'd second alchemilla mollis (sp?) Hostas are hardy and easy as long as you can keep the slugs away.

marriedinwhiteagain Sat 08-Jun-13 20:45:04

clematis, roses, wisteria, forsythia, hostas, needs DH here to tell me the names

oh wow, thanks for all the ideas, I will need to google a lot of these, but I will look them all up.
its good to get a recommendation though rather than just search on line so thanks

atm I have a bit of a pink, purple and blue theme going on

we have loads of fence space, and I think it would look lovely to have clematis and jasmine etc growing up the fence, but my dad puts me off growing things up the fence, as hes against anything non practical!

he will go, oh those things runin the fences and pull them down blah blah blah

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sat 08-Jun-13 20:48:44

Viburnums are excellent shrubs

To get more bangs per buck, grow clematis through shrubs

Bamboo (but be careful with the invasive ones)

Euphorbias (but beware of the sap, which can be an irritant)

oh I love wisteria, I would love to grow that up the fences

thegirliesmam Sat 08-Jun-13 20:50:17

agapanthus, buddleia, honeysuckle, ceanthos, midwinter fire, fuschia, potatoes in old recycling boxs, carrots in pots, onions and leeks in pots, rose, aquiligea, heather, lavender in borders, mint (in a pot or it is like the plague!), bamboo, salvia, sundance, sweetpeas up bamboo cane pyramids. strawberries in pots too, got loads already!

OliviaMMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 08-Jun-13 20:56:46

okay clever people and are we too late to do any planting (from plants rather than seeds) ?? this year? (am v clueless gardener)

Thanks for tip on Mint
Love in a mist looks lovely

FrameyMcFrame Sat 08-Jun-13 20:57:11

In my front garden I have LOADs of big alliums, big purple pompoms.
Wildflower seed mix is doing really well
At the back we inherited herbacious borders which are amazing and I don't know what half of the stuff is or how to care for it. It just pops up and grows like mad, flowers, dies off in winter...

FrameyMcFrame Sat 08-Jun-13 20:58:06

Oh, I tried to grow agapanthus and echinacia from seed but it hasn't worked so I'm going to the garden centre tomorrow to cheat on those smile

VerySmallSqueak Sat 08-Jun-13 20:58:26

You can plant now - you just need to keep them watered if (hopefully) we get a dry spell, Olivia.

I have only recently started gardening, but today I was looking on the net for bee friendly plants and I saw this - even if I don't actually order stuff from there I thought it had some great advice about what to plant.

marriedinwhiteagain Sat 08-Jun-13 20:59:32

Viburnums are lovely - and evergreen. Also potentilla's and something beginning C with pretty blue flowers. Like delphiniums and the big blue round ball things, fuscias, paeonies and aubretia, not forgetting DH's beloved dahlias.

elfycat Sat 08-Jun-13 21:00:08

It's nearly time to think about the bulbs you want to come up in spring. They'll need planting in the autumn so if you have any gaps in the early spring colour scheme have a look/google.

I've just dug out, manured (thanks to a horse-loving MNetter) and planted a shady bed this week. Plenty of time to get shrubs/perennials rooted in.

VerySmallSqueak Sat 08-Jun-13 21:00:22

Ideally you would plant perennials in the Autumn (but I can never seem to fight my way through the weeds to do that...blush )

TheOriginalSteamingNit Sat 08-Jun-13 21:03:15

No more lilies for me as these litte twats have Swiss cheesed them for the last few year.

Clematis just keeps on giving, as do the strawberries. Jasmine is being rather quiet this year, and after a trip to the garden centre this afternoon, I am desperate for some wisteria.

Joskar Sat 08-Jun-13 21:07:14

Can I ask where you are? That makes a bit of a difference. I'm in the north of Scotland and we're about two-three months behind the south of England. Also coastal makes a difference. Rosemary, for example, dies really easily in cold places but coastal and sheltered and it's a gorgeous rampant thing of beauty.

Raspberries. Can't ever have too many.

Def get some cornflowers and poppies and wild flower mix. Got to give the bees food!

FrantasticO Sat 08-Jun-13 21:09:21

Lurking too!
Hostas?
Everything else hasn't lasted the pace in our garden of doom

Not very green fingered here unfortunately.

digerd Sat 08-Jun-13 21:09:51

My primroses have stopped flowering and the later blooming Wallflowers have just finished. Japanese Anenomes don't bloom till July. Penstamons bloom the longest-June -frosts, but late this year. Phlox also start in July and have a lovely perfume. Most Perrenials need cutting down to the ground in autumn, except for evergreens.

I love colour in the winter,so have many yellow evergreen shrubs that can be pruned to size. And yellow miniture conifers.

My first ever lurk...

digerd Sat 08-Jun-13 21:19:23

ps. Tresspassed from neighbour's garden, I have lovely glowing orange poppies that are very fussy where they want to grow and snub my wishes and prefer to grow inbetween my paving slabs insteadhmm. Neighbour's have disappeared ,though?

Late again this year are my favourites - 8 climbing roses on arches which are just beginning to open their massive amount of buds. smile

GrendelsMum Sat 08-Jun-13 21:23:45

My tip for novice gardeners is to go round local church fetes and village fairs, and look at their plant sales. You are likely to find plants that will do well in your local conditions (they'll be for sale because people have extras from their own garden), plus they will be cheap.

The potential downside is that some of them may not just do well, but try to take over - but if the plant is attractive, then I don't think that matters too much. For example, I have Japanese Anenomes and love-in-a-mist rampant in our garden, but they're still worth having.

digerd Sat 08-Jun-13 21:25:45

OOPs.Thought my spelling of perennials looked not rightblush

HildaOgden Sat 08-Jun-13 21:26:43

I love,love love this thread,thanks for all the tips and thanks for starting the thread whiteandyellowiris

shamelessly marks space without contributing anything useful

LayMizzRarb Sat 08-Jun-13 21:32:00

Be careful with Hydrangeas, they are very greedy with water. Don't plant other stuff too near them, as they won't get a Look on with the water in the soil!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now