My honeysuckle is covered in aphids! What to do?

(13 Posts)

As the title says the honesuckle is completely covered in wee aphids. SHould I leave alone or do something - if so what. We have a cat and a 6 yr old btw so nothing too vicious!

Take kids and go collect some lady birds. Bring them
Back to the aphid buffee?

I think there's too many and we tried that last year. We would need a LOT of ladybirds. Can you buy them? hmm

MousyMouse Sun 26-May-13 16:22:39

birds, ladybugs will take care of them

samesizetoes Sun 26-May-13 16:28:26

You can buy ladybirds online somewhere. Have a search, I can't remember where we bought some previously, sorry. Otherwise try spraying the plant with a washing-up-liquid and warm water solution then pick as many off as possible alternatively if you think your honeysuckle will take it, blast them off with a high pressure water hose. The washing up liquid is too slippery for the aphids to hold on when you wash them off.

For indoor plants I use a little bit of white vinegar, add lots of water, and use it in a spray. I don't know if that might hurt the ladybirds though, or at least give them heart burn.

No but you can buy wild birdseed that will attract the birds. Trouble is the birds may eat the lady birds so .......

ParkerTheThief Sun 26-May-13 16:29:45

Plaster the aphids with soap bubbles made from washing up liquid.

Washing up liquid seems the way to go. I can't see a single ladybird there atm - useless!!

Plant one of these to attract???

linspins Sun 26-May-13 17:34:43
green gardener has ladybirds and larvae for sale, for release on to your aphids. I bred some once, they were great fun to watch hatch and feed.

Thanks very much smile

Kernowgal Mon 27-May-13 08:45:51

Definitely washing up liquid, but very dilute. Spray on, leave for 10 minutes or so and then spray again with clean water.

I can't remember the exact science behind it but I think the detergent either blocks the aphids' breathing holes or breaks down their waxy cuticle layer and this blocks their breathing holes. Something like that anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now