Blooming into Flaming June

(996 Posts)

Keeping the potting shed party going from the previous Rhubarb Society thread and all threads before it.

Please feel free to join in all gardeners, whether novice, professional or aspiring. Plenty of blackberry gin for all.

MousyMouse Sat 25-May-13 23:42:51

ground elder should be fine in the compost bin.
you can eat the fresh leaves as well, tastes a lot like spinach, maybe a bit more iron-y. doesn't shrink as much in volume.

you can cover the area (if not too arkward or big) with tarp after weeding as much as possible. leaves also make good green liquid fertiliser. You can also use a flame weeder to burn the roots in the ground.

cantspel Sun 26-May-13 01:23:11

I did ask if anyone wanted some with their sunday roast tomorrow but no takers so it looks like a trip to the local dump for me next week.

I will be back to my digging tomorrow and hope to finish clearing 2 beds. The patch at the back of the garden under the cherry tree is dieing back nicely after being sprayed with resolva 24 but i will still dig out the root to be on the safe side.
The ground elder in the front garden is being harder to deal with at it has grown its roots through the roots of other plants. The mallow is being sacrificed for the greater good but i want to save the roses and camellia. Once it is cleared i will be putting in a new magnolia.

funnyperson Sun 26-May-13 06:13:11

It is going to be another lovely day here.
Apparently yesterday was a good day for the Chelsea gardens because it had rained the day before so the gardens looked fresh.
It was very interesting to see how gardens with not much lawn worked very well. The gardens had been designed with 2 areas of focus: the viewers (which in life would be the house) and the seating areas. The most tranquil gardens all had a water feature:a raised circular pond with slate walls and a seat round half the circumference in the case of the artisan physicians garden and a lovely lovely rectangular travertine stone shallow pond fed with a sheet of flowing water cascading from a fountain, again with a sitting lower edge so one could dangle one's feet and paddle in the Laurence Perrier garden.
Gardens were either seriously curvy or composed of straight edged square and rectangular blocks of fabulous planting schemes using plants which are generally easily available but used in a genius way to just such beautiful effect one wanted to spend days just looking, which is the whole idea of a garden. Where the families and friends of designers were around, there were lots of children sitting and running around in the gardens having a ball, laughing, and it was nice to see how the seating and paths between the beds worked.

funnyperson Sun 26-May-13 06:28:10

Beds all had a vertical component. In the Laurence Perrier garden, 4 fastigate trees, and a yellow verbascum.
Actually the companies have all put it on the internet
www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HomebaseStaticPageSecondLevel?langId=110&storeId=10151&includeName=HBCreateTheLook/chelsea.htm
www.crocus.co.uk/chelsea2013/ulf-nordfjell-stockholm/

funnyperson Sun 26-May-13 06:35:25

www.gardenofwales.org.uk/news/garden-scoops-silver-on-chelsea-debut/
www.gardenofwales.org.uk/news/garden-scoops-silver-on-chelsea-debut/

Have a lovely gardening day today! I will be planting my seedlings and my Chelsea take aways. ( a fiver for well grown good quality exhibition plants in 1 and 2 litre pots: extraordinary). Please dont feel envious (though I feel very guilty about 5 mins in just to be there at all). I think Chelsea is too expensive to be anything but a special treat for most people if you include the cost of getting there, food, plants, but I do reccommend going at least once in a life. And there are cheap ways such as being a helper or usher when you get in free!

Rhubarbgarden Sun 26-May-13 06:58:55

This is very true. I volunteered for the RHS for several years, dishing out membership leaflets in order to get in free. They have seriously cut back on the number of volunteers now though. A friend of mine who has done it for years didn't get a place this year.

I'm planning a full day of gardening today. Dh was very excited yesterday to discover we have a (very overgrown and weedy) herb garden. He wants me to sort it out in return for him doing the kids again. Fine by me!

I have decided I need some cranesbill to scramble around the bare ground around the newly revealed rhododendrons in the drive. What are everyone's favourite varieties for part shade?

Cantspel which Magnolia are you going to put in? I can't decide. Burncoose nursery has a very good selection.

Rhubarbgarden Sun 26-May-13 07:01:47
funnyperson Sun 26-May-13 07:08:27

This garden planter/designer is seriously talented, it was very very beautiful
www.rhs.org.uk/Shows-Events/RHS-Chelsea-Flower-Show/2013/Gardens/Garden-directory/BrandAlley-Garden

funnyperson Sun 26-May-13 07:11:37

rhubarb is the flower show always so impressive?
are you going to only put in one magnolia? you could have stellata in a pot and caerhayes belle/surprise with a longer flowering season.

funnyperson Sun 26-May-13 07:36:25

Regarding ethnicity and Chelsea: as with all the best of British (Oxford, the ballet, Henley etc) security guards and caterers apart, hardly any brown or black people to be seen (numbers on one hand) all day.
I liked that a young black security guard went upto a pavilion stall older and bought 2 white agapanthus. She charged him the same as me. I think she should have charged less.
I think there should be local London primary school outings to the show like they do in France for Monet's garden in Giverney.

Rhubarbgarden Sun 26-May-13 08:09:24

Yes it's always impressive, sometimes even more so. I loved the planting in that Brand Alley garden. Oranges and limes again.

I intend to plant one large Magnolia; I was initially seduced by the dark pink ones but they don't seem to have such a good form as the paler ones. I want one with good crisp gobletty flower shape. I may have space for a stellata too, but I need to plan the border properly first. At the moment I know I want a Magnolia and a Cornus kousa but that's as far as I've got beyond a massive wish list.

There is indeed an issue with lack of diversity in the audience at Chelsea. I have noticed over the years that there is always a small but reliable contingent of south east Asian heritage visitors though.

The RHS is trying hard on the schools front. It was nice to see the kids presenting the Miracle Gro gardening through the ages feature, that schools had grown the plants for. Are you going to Hampton Court? There is always a good schools presence there. You'd love Hampton Court. It's the real gardeners' flower show.

Rhubarbgarden Sun 26-May-13 08:13:01

I loved the Sparsholt College tea garden. Stunning quality, well done those students. The student presenting said that they could have got a silver gilt but their plot was enlarged at short notice and while they were frantically rearranging the planting, they forgot to enlarge their graphics and got marked down for that. I think that was a little unfair.

funnyperson Sun 26-May-13 08:57:10

M. Soulangeana is lovely, no doubt about it.
Next door the house is rented out. The wife of the Japanese ambassador used to plant in ones and use bright reds to accentuate the tree above which she would prune to frame the flower.
Currently the family is from South Africa and the young men, currently looking after their garden with a keen interest, have planted pale yellow broom next to pale pink petunias and it looks very cheerful!

WynkenBlynkenandNod Sun 26-May-13 09:12:50

Glad you both had a lovely day. It is fabulous isn't ? And so true the cameras don't do it justice. We were walking round in a kind of stunned silence for the first hour.

My favourite garden was Roger Petty's, Chris Beardshaw's , the Australian one (I too thought of Echt whilst there) and the NSPCC childhood one). Next time I go (and I'm determined there will be a next time) I'll do it differently as I don't think we fully did some of the larger gardens justice as we were quite knackered by then. More refreshment stops were in order. I feel very lucky to have been able to go. And found getting the coach up to London from here is very easy and well priced, a bonus for future London trips.

My Chelsea trip has brought on a bit of a plant buying splurge . Our local garden center had a 50% off table so I now have a Magnolia Stellata to go into a pot (then my bargain bare root magnolia turned up yesterday, might donate that to DS's school) a dwarf lilac 'Josee' after my Dad saying how lovely it is and the Red Pixie version catching my eye at Chelsea, a free replacement Zephirine Drouhin, an Achillia, thyme and sweet peas, all for £23 so was very pleased with that.

However things got then more expensive when at another place I saw the Raymond Evison new introductions at Chelsea and Giselle and Samariton Jo found their way into my trolley. I then found myself in a nursery I had forgotten about and came out with a further clematis, a rose, lavender, Aquilega, 2 Heuchura, osteopermum and primula for less than the two clematis.

I have spent a lot on plants this year but am planting up the back garden which hasn't had any plants in it really in the 10 years we've been here as was first a children's playground then the dog trashed it. Most things have been good value though and I could have spent lots more. Just added it up I'm at just under £200. But that's 2 David Austin Roses, two very decent sized camellias, decent sized standard olive tree, two acers, 2 hostas, a magnolia tree, another rose, 5 clematis, hydrangea, lavender, Fatsia, standard blueberry, aquilegia, alchemia mollis, thyme, sweet peass, Lady Banks Rose, dwarf lilac, couple of alliums, lots of geraniums, pot of grass that's been split plus the Zephirine Drouhin. Oh dear, that is a lot of money still it doesn't seem too bad as you produce your card each time but soon adds up. But put in context of doing a new garden maybe it's not too bad <hopeful look>

It's been my dealing with Mum's dementia diagnosis diversion activity and it has helped a lot thinking about it. However my allotment is sadly neglected so I'm going to go up there now and get a couple of hours in before hoarded of tourists arrive and try to speak it me whilst I've digging.

I have a friend who is a presenter, she gets to go to Chelsea every year for free and gets to interview the garden designers envy.

The sun is shining. DH and I are having a cup of tea in the greenhouse conservatory prior to heading out to mow the lawn. I'm desperate to plant more stuff out but I've heard rumour of more frosts this week.

Contemplating what to put in the zinc planters on the back of the pew that sort of act like window boxes for the conservatory. The tulips have keeled over now so need some summer interest. I was going to use them as extra salad tubs but now I'm erring towards more flowers for colour. Don't know what though.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sun 26-May-13 11:59:44

I am enjoying hearing about your Chelsea experiences and plant-buying splurges which make me feel better about my own.

funnyperson - You are quite right about the skewed demographic of Chelsea and, by extension, the RHS. I think the ethnicity issue overlaps, to some extent, with issues of age and income where again (I suspect very strongly) the demographic is also skewed. I am picturing a Venn diagram.

Bearleigh Sun 26-May-13 15:20:30

Very interesting hearing about everyone's Chelsea experiences. I've been twice, and particularly enjoyed the marquees. I travel in and out of Victoria, and love sell off day, and seeing people bearing away their purchases. One year I shared the carriage with two enormous deep blue delphiniums and their new owner.

Cantspel, forgive me if you've already mentioned it but are you going to try Roundup on your ground elder? Obviously you can't use it where the GÉ is in amongst the perennials but it'll be OK around roses. I have at last got rid of the GE in our 'rockery' by squirting with Roundup spray or pulling it out when it was too close to other plants to squirt.

Now I just have to get rid of the couch grass...

Very envious that I didn't go to Chelsea. I couldn't have anyway, quite a busy week at work, but you are all talking in such an inspired way about it... I may look into Hampton Court though, I did love that the last time I went.

news item for Humph

I am down in Devon at my parents' farm. They have done so much work since we were here at Christmas! My dad has been landscaping with the digger and now has a little hollow between the house and the 'arboretum' field which will be the evening sun trap terrace. He has cut down almost all the leylandii at the eastern end of the orchard (well, a couple fell down in the February storms too) so there is lots of light flooding it, and the apple trees are covered in blossom. They are still gnarly and old, and might not do too well in fruiting, but they do look very pretty. The plums and bullace have finished flowering and are developing tiny little fruits. I am sitting looking out of the kitchen window and watching a blue tit coming back and forth to a hole in the cob wall of the old pigshed across their track. There are swifts/swallows/housemartens (must learn difference) overhead all the time, a chaffinch on the telephone wire this morning and the urgent cheeping of blackbirds worrying about their partially-fledged young in the hedge last night.

And the second of the pregnant Devon Rubies is due to give birth any day now - she has had a full udder and a very ripe vulval area (or, loose fanny, as my dad puts it) since Wednesday. So my small boy will hopefully get to see new baby Hector/Hermione while we're here.

cantspel Sun 26-May-13 20:17:36

Rhubarb i have a MAGNOLIA denudata 'Yellow River' on order from when Wynken posted up the VM offer.

Bearleigh i have been spraying with resolva 24 for the larger patches away from perennials and the bits that are shooting up between the day lilies i have been zapping with roundup gel. i dont expect i will completly cure the problem in one year but hopefully i will have it under control this year and just be picking smaller bits out the beds next.

On a more depressing note i managed to kill not one but 2 lawn mowers today. The petrol one just refuses to start even after i stripped it down, cleaned everything and put it back together again and the electric one was just too small for the size of the garden and i burnt the engine out.
Think i might treat myself to a new boshe lawn mower tomorrow and when my brother next visits i will see if he can fix the petrol one as it is no good letting my husband try as he is clueless with anything pratical.

funnyperson Sun 26-May-13 20:29:05

Oh dear, was too tired to do any gardening today. Just sat in my tranquil little garden and then visited mum and dad. Blasted carers refused to put dad in the wheelchair (health and safety: or just bloody minded) so we couldn't sit in their lovely garden but sat indoors and chatted.
Lots of v v well off people round here, maud none of whom go to Chelsea flower show, and have not heard of the RHS though they have extensive gardens. Programmes such as 'goodness gracious me' and 'eastenders' are a bit misleading but I know what you mean about the Venn diagram though I think its not about economics.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Sun 26-May-13 20:35:27

Cantspel my Yellow River arrived on Friday. I noticed this Bosch Mower earlier.

cantspel Sun 26-May-13 21:18:52

Thats the one i fancy and the best price i could find. Going to take a drive down to b&q tomorrow as i have reserved one online.
I have had my dispatch notice for the yellow river but no delivery yet. Hopefully it will turn up after the bank holiday as i also ordered a few Petunia Tumbelina due for delivery at the same time.

MousyMouse Sun 26-May-13 21:20:49

lovely weather today and spent most of the day outside in the garden.
we cleared away the old sandpit and re-instated the raised bed it once was.
some very impressive fungi specimen and spiders were revealed underneath the chipboard that was the base of the pit. also weeded between the tiles in the front garden, put the netting over the strawberries and over the part of the garden the neighbouring cats claim as their loo. not even the mint growing there keeps them away.

have to work tomorrow but dh is on orders to go to a garden centre to buy loads of compost to enrich the topsoil that was buried under the pit for ages and to have a nice cream tea with the dc

rhihaf Mon 27-May-13 10:12:14

Just back from a totally bonkers weekend of catering for a friend's wedding - so missed most of Chelsea (started preparing food last Weds), so thankyou everyone for the updates! Am undecided where I stand re demographic of Chelsea...

Morissons were selling quite large, healthy perennials 2 for 3 quid. I got two massive delphiniums and two hollyhocks for the raised bed in front of the greenhouse (in the secret garden), also have some lavendar and other cottage garden plants planned for there.

Are there different types of thyme (as in growing habit)? I fancy a few fragrant herbs tumbling over the brick wall of the bed, and it's very sunny and dry - I'm thinking a trailing thyme. Is there such a thing?

funnyperson Mon 27-May-13 11:34:52

'Caraway' or 'Doone valley'???
pantrygardenherbs.com/?page_id=1094

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now