Plants in pots, south facing garden

(33 Posts)
ItsAllTLAsToMe Fri 10-May-13 11:43:19

I'd like to have a variety of heights and colours of plants in pots in my south facing garden, but I'm a gardening novice. Can anyone give me any advice / ideas?

Ponders Sun 12-May-13 10:03:30

Hi, funnyp, nice to see you smile your pots sound gorgeous, please put some pics up!

DS is doing fine thanks, much happier than in 1st year & off to the US to do summer camp next month (doesn't know where yet). How are your DD & DS?

(We are off to the airport on the way to Spain very soon so I won't be replying for a bit)

apols for hijack, ItsAllTLAsToMe - I hope you will be posting pics of your pots soon!

onefewernow Sun 12-May-13 11:39:44

Ponders that is interesting. I have had four gardens over the years and all clay. But two were alkaline and two not. I wonder if that explains it, as I have yet to see self seeding, although they do better now we are no longer on alkaline soil.

I think sometimes the internet doesn't help. Yesterday, for example, I was looking up advice on how much shade my new viburnum juddii would tolerate and the advice was so contradictory.

You get the odd book with an aside discussion on this dirt of matter, but I think the net just has lots of entries which are thrown in untested.

onefewernow Sun 12-May-13 11:40:00

Sort not dirt

ppeatfruit Tue 14-May-13 10:00:26

Ooh I thought of another plant that needs no effing about with and it has year round interest and colour its called Nandina Domestica (i think) or heavenly bamboo. Sorry I can't link but its a beautiful slow growing, tall plant with red berries\white flowers and the leaves redden in autumn.

It's so good tempered because I bought one in north London had it in a pot for a couple of years took it to France and put it in our garden where its still fine.!!

funnyperson Sat 18-May-13 20:43:23

ponders I dont know how to put pics up and I dont have a digital camera because very time I buy one, one of the DC decides it looks useful.
ppeatfruit regarding your bamboo, do you feed it regularly? As I have bamboo in pots which ook spindly and rather sad so would appreciate nurturing advice.

funnyperson Sat 18-May-13 20:43:44

look, even

echt Sat 18-May-13 23:00:20

Bamboo is a gross feeder. I use cow/sheep manure, lawn feed (no weedkiller in it, though) mulch and plenty of water.

onefewernow Sat 18-May-13 23:32:58

My best pots have white hydrangea and a mature daphne odora aureomarginata.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now