Busy Lizzies - are we ok now?

(6 Posts)
ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Wed 08-May-13 18:12:53

If they're back on the market, I assume that's a sign that the disease is now under control.

onefewernow Wed 08-May-13 15:35:35

Oh I see! My mistake!

I havnt grown them recently. They are worth a try though.

cantspel Wed 08-May-13 10:28:52

hydrangeas are not everyones favorite plant but i find them great for semi shaded areas where you want a largish spread and the newer varieties are so different from the old lady blue and pinks.
A garden is not complete without at least one hydrangea.
I will be planting buzy lizzies this year so i hope that they dont have any mildrew problem.

magpie2 Wed 08-May-13 10:14:04

Vulgar plants? No! blush I was actually talking about the mildew problem. There was a major downy mildew epidemic that killed all the busy lizzies eveywhere, since 2011. I was asking if that is contained now.

onefewernow Wed 08-May-13 10:04:05

Well I think they are invaluable in shade, and I love the white ones between shrubs. I planted a heap under a weeping silver pear once: they had fairly dark leaves, and looked great.

I used to hate hydrangeas too, and thought they looked like old ladies swimming hats, but I love them now , and even have some in large pots.

Perhaps we should start a thread on vulgar plants we all love. Or maybe it's an age thing ( 52 in my case)! I definitely have been right through my Sissinghurst white phase and well into the Christoper Lloyd colour riot!

magpie2 Wed 08-May-13 08:52:36

I saw some impatients for sale at a garden centre yesterday. Has the problem gone away now? Can we plant them again? I have so much shade in my garden and busy lizzies are just great for it! Somebody please tell me it's ok now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now