Window boxes in the prevailing wind?

(7 Posts)
welliesandpyjamas Mon 29-Apr-13 13:28:20

Hello
Does anyone have any ideas as to which plants would be happy in the prevailing wind? I have four window boxes, two downstairs, two upstairs, that I'd love to see full of colour for the summer but they face the prevailing wind (from the east).

I planted a couple of fuschias in one upstairs but they have been battered about a bit since planting last week and I feel I should rescue them before they give up on me! The two I planted in a downstairs box are looking better.

I'm growing geraniums too. Would they be hardy enough? If so, how big will they need to be when I move them out there?

LadyMud Mon 29-Apr-13 16:45:56

I'll be very interested in your replies, W&P! I planted up a pot to go on the balcony of my son's new flat, but he reckoned it didn't survive the wind (I have a different theory . . . ).

So now I've made up a pot of six different heathers, on the basis that they enjoy bleak windswept moors.

LadyMud Mon 29-Apr-13 16:50:13

Talking of wellies and pyjamas, I might change my name to dressinggownandslippers . . . after the wind blew a 2-metre gate closed this morning, locking me out of the back garden blush

welliesandpyjamas Mon 29-Apr-13 17:46:04

Ha ha I foresee a battle of wills beginning there over the balcony plants grin

Hope you weren't left out in the cold for too long! Reminds me of chasing a rolling car tyre down a hill in my wellies and pyjamas after I thought it would be clever to roll it down to the garage...part of the reason for the MN name!

welliesandpyjamas Thu 02-May-13 08:01:52

Bump

Vatta Thu 02-May-13 23:47:17

I think you want plants with sturdy but flexible stalks iyswim, maybe try lavender? Or Heather obviously, if it's happy on windswept moors it should be ok on a balcony.

Vatta Thu 02-May-13 23:53:10

Sorry just read your OP properly - I've had geraniums in window boxes before, they didn't seem to mind the wind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now