flame throwers to kill off weeds

(21 Posts)
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Tue 30-Apr-13 22:17:41

I used glyphosate and some more glyphosate. Spray the weeds directly. Keep patrolling the area and shot the little weeds when they start up again.

MrsDeVere Tue 30-Apr-13 22:10:32

Bulges in the astroturf <gulp>

I have spent hours trying to work out how to erm...gift it to a certain neighbour....

grin

Talkinpeace Tue 30-Apr-13 22:07:11

MrsDeVere it will try to come back for at least a year - just be aware and if you see ANY bulges in the astroturf, grab the glyphosate as the new shoots will weaken fastest.
You could always pop the bits of rhizome over a certain wall grin

If you love it, try one of these www.shrubsdirect.com/plants/bamboo/black-caned-bamboos/bamboo-phyllostachys-nigra-7-5-litre-pot.html and keep it in a tub - semi sunk in the ground if you need DS not to topple it

MrsDeVere Tue 30-Apr-13 21:53:08

I want it all gone.
Every.last.frickin.blade.

It is lovely and bushy and makes a great noise but it has to go.

I need to lay astro turf (dont kill me) because DS is allergic to grass and we got rid of the lawn. Unfortunately due to his learning difficulties he lobs play bark/rubber chips etc everywhere.
So we are going to lay astro turf in his play area. But I can't do that if I have bloody bamboo shoots sprouting all over the place.

talkin i got it from homebase. I think it must be a very common sort. It looks like the one you spoke of earlier. It grows very high and when cut the canes are just like the ones you buy to grow beans up.

Its beautiful really but I have grown to hate it.

cantspel Tue 30-Apr-13 21:14:21

Glyphosate will kill bamboo, cut the canes down to ground level and spray with Glyphosate and keep spraying any new growth. It will take a while but will eventually die off.

Talkinpeace Tue 30-Apr-13 21:11:42

MrsdeVere
Can you post a picture of it - ideally a closeup of the stem - or identify it on here bamboo-identification.co.uk/html/common_genera.html
but basically the rule of thumb is to cut through the rhizome : dig a trench (HARD WORK) and remove any roots on the wrong side. Then sink kerb stones in where you want it to stop.

MrsDeVere Tue 30-Apr-13 21:07:33

Oh dear lord I am being invaded. Its like the triffids come to East London.

I planted them years ago and thought I had got away with it. Planted them next to the concrete path. All was well for ages.

Then they started moving. One day they will find me, in my bedroom, surrounded by bamboo sad

Talkinpeace Tue 30-Apr-13 20:41:52

no!
but snapping new shoots off at the ground will stop the clump spreading (eventually)
depending on the variety of bamboo
- sasa and pseudosasa are the most invasive, phyllostacis the least.

MrsDeVere Tue 30-Apr-13 20:37:47

Do they work on fucking bamboo?

Talkinpeace Tue 30-Apr-13 20:32:51

cannot do glyphosate, salt, bleach or boiling water near the pond - so the flame thrower is then the best bet.

Ubermumsy Tue 30-Apr-13 20:30:54

Glyphosate is your friend here. Water or spray it over the path and the weeds will turn up their toes in a week or so. You can even get path formulations which make the ground more difficult for new seeds to penetrate.

Weeding? I have a "nature" garden. No weeding required! But I like the idea of a flame thrower!

GemmaTeller Tue 30-Apr-13 18:36:32

I spend a morning getting the weeds out then pour boiling water and (a lot of ) bleach on my crazy paving and path, only have to do it once maybe twice a year a year.

monsterchild Tue 30-Apr-13 18:26:30

They are extremely fun, but I always have some water nearby, as it's very dry where we live.

They also do a mean creme brulee!

cantspel Tue 30-Apr-13 18:21:52

Wilkinsons sell them for £20 and £4 for the butane canister

passthecheese Tue 30-Apr-13 18:19:35

Homebase have them.

WhatKindofFool Mon 29-Apr-13 18:26:48

I'm sure I saw one in Aldi the other week.

Rhubarbgarden Sun 28-Apr-13 21:42:21

I used to have one. Great fun to use, but not very effective. The plants just grow back.

The builders nicked it angry

Talkinpeace Sun 28-Apr-13 16:08:35
MrsHoarder Sun 28-Apr-13 15:09:00

Hands and knees and weeding. Boiling water is surprisingly effective if only done on the patio (will also kill anything else in the surrounding soil if you pour it somewhere else).

mirry2 Sun 28-Apr-13 15:03:32

Can you buy these? I asked a gardening company and was told that they're illegal. I think they would do an excellent job of killing all the weeds on my patio and drive. otherwise it's going to be getting down on my hands and knees and weeding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now