What do you have planted in your front garden?

(13 Posts)
Taffeta Mon 29-Apr-13 19:01:42

We are south facing at the back, so north at the front.

I have 2 small beds, currently have 2 of these roses, 3 white foxgloves, bedding (violas and bellis ATM, stocks in the sunnier bits and will get some more for June onwards ), loads of tulips and iris and lavender hidcote (in sunny bit again). Also have some Japanese anemones and geranium rozanne.

mervynmouse Sun 28-Apr-13 19:22:46

sweet peas in window brilliant idea- the smell! smile

PeggyGuggenheim Sun 28-Apr-13 12:54:14

Sweet peas in a window box sounds incredible - do they climb up the window ? So you're looking at them from inside ?? Woo hoo I love!!

zippy539 Fri 26-Apr-13 23:44:48

Thanks funny - it really is a tiny space but it's the only one I've got so I'm trying to make the most of it. smile

funnyperson Fri 26-Apr-13 23:37:30

zippy539 that sounds awesome!

zippy539 Fri 26-Apr-13 23:33:46

In mine (tiny - 6ft by 15ft with a path up the middle, Edwardian building) - raspberries, tayberries, clematis, ivy, ferns, usual spring bulbs plus - lettuce, peas, courgettes in small raised bed, plus sweet peas in window box.

Priority this time has been to cram as much fruit/veg into a tiny space but in previous front garden I went with a colour theme - in my case white flowers/rich green foliage. That garden was also east facing and I found I could make it look quite lush with shade loving plants. IMO it looks quite striking to go with a colour scheme and narrows down your choice - which is quite useful!

mervynmouse Fri 26-Apr-13 23:15:18

Thank you - loads of good ideas there. Can't wait to get started. First own garden ever so very excited.smile

funnyperson Fri 26-Apr-13 23:07:40

Also this probably sounds a bit basic but it is ever so helpful to dig out the weeds before the soil gets too dry and then put a mulch ( ie topping) of 4 ins of well rotted organic compost while you are thinking of what to plant.

funnyperson Fri 26-Apr-13 22:59:45

It is useful to think a bit about structure in the front garden for winter: So some topiary or vertical/bobbly/lollipoppy/cloud pruned evergreen element is welcoming in winter and is a lot of fun to create.
www.toasttravels.co.uk/tag/cloud-pruning/

funnyperson Fri 26-Apr-13 22:54:52

Yes to wallflowers and lavender! Rosemary smells nice too if it is a sunny spot. Other scented herbs are nice too by the front door. Also snowdrops, primroses, chinodoxia, tulips in Spring; A lovely scented rose for summer with alliums and nicotiniana and lilium regale and night scented stock. Perhaps some trailing aubretia from odd corners in the wall, (they have shallow roots so don't upset the wall),saxifrages also from the wall.
What about sweet pea canes and raspberry canes?
I like Michaelmas daisies and shrubby fuschias and dahlias in the Autumn
I think you can grow anything you like in an East facing front garden.

Here is a pretty repeat flowering scented rose
www.davidaustinroses.com/english/Showrose.asp?Showr=4524

mervynmouse Fri 26-Apr-13 20:10:36

It faces east. I am tempted by hollyhocks too due to lovely childhood memories.

echt Fri 26-Apr-13 20:02:44

What direction do you face?

Although you asked for year round interest, I would always find flower bed space for wall flowers, which are usually planted bare rooted in October, and replaced annually, though they're cheap, or were when I last lived in the UK. Their smell in the sun is wonderful.

<nostalgia for UK emoticon>

mervynmouse Fri 26-Apr-13 19:56:44

I currently have a totally bleak and ugly front garden that needs starting from scratch. Its just a typical little Victorian terrace front space that I want to fill with things that make me happy when I come home. So far I am thinking the usual lavender and rosemary, maybe a box hedge of some description? Plants that smell nice in the summer but look good all year round. Any tips? Also best places to buy appreciated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now