Lawn Mower Recommendations

(23 Posts)
Mummywheel Wed 24-Apr-13 19:18:12

Decided to cut the lawn after lunch only to find that it simply won't work. Since I have had it for 20+ years have decided to purchase a new one. OH has different ideas and wants to try and fix our old one. After an hour of searching online I am now unsure which one to buy as there are so many. Any recommendations greatly received. Don't want to spend too much, around £70 would be what I am willing to pay. If that's realistic.

Rhubarbgarden Wed 24-Apr-13 19:37:37

What is your existing one? I think if your budget is only £70 your DH might be right, tbh. Sorry.

ScumbleGoosie Wed 24-Apr-13 21:56:22

Bought this one last week - Bosch Rotak 32R Electric Rotary Lawnmower
from Amazon.
Its brilliant and so light.
£79.99

Talkinpeace Wed 24-Apr-13 22:27:06

I love my Husqvarna push mower - does a lovely job and no running costs and safe around children

echt Thu 25-Apr-13 11:37:19

When you buy, make sure you can a) lift the mower easily and b) replace the blade/spinning stringy thing easily. The former is more important than the later in any mower.

Mummywheel Thu 25-Apr-13 16:31:48

Thank you for advice. Our existing one is a Black & Decker. However I am drawn to the Bosch Rotak but also considering a Flymo. Both models have good reviews.

linspins Thu 25-Apr-13 19:31:34

I've just been reading the 'Which' reports for mowers. Their best buy is the Bosch Rotak 40. I looked at these in Homebase, and thought the Rotak 40 was a bit heavy for me. The next size down is the 37, which has a different handle arrangement (more like my current Flymo), and felt robust enough without being heavy. This one wasn't reviewed by Which as it is newish, but all the Bosch ones did reasonably well. So I'm going for the 37 - if you wait a week or so, i'll let you know how it cuts!!

We just got a Black & Decker one from Tesco for £70 so I don't think your budget should be a problem. But it sort of depends what you want/need.

You have to think about how big a lawn you have - if it's big then a wider blade will mean fewer trips up and down.

Do you want electric or petrol? - I prefer electric but you have to think about the cable.

Do you want one with a roller to give your lawn stripes?

What space do you have for storing it? Do you have to pick it up and carry it between storage and lawn, or can you just push it there?

There's a compromise between big so you don't have to go up and down as often, vs small and light and easy to store. We made a mistake and got a very light flymo which hangs on the garage wall - but it has a very narrow cut, and doesn't collect the grass, so frankly it was a pain!

ProphetOfDoom Thu 25-Apr-13 21:02:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

choccyp1g Thu 25-Apr-13 21:13:17

The big problem with petrol mowers is the starting cord, which always seems to need a "knack". I had a lovely mower from Argos called "Challenge Xtreme" FOR YEARS, and it was fabulous, started every time, no problems. Finally gave up the ghost last autumn, so I went out and bought what I thought was the identical model. (£170) But they have changed the starting system, and this one has me in tears getting it going, it feels like you are pulling a random cord and nothing happens.
So my advice if you have a decent budget for a mower, go somewhere where they will actually let you try starting one from cold for yourself.

BTW SMatilda mine didn't really cut short enough for a smart lawn, but suited me because it could handle the rougher grass in the orchard.

ProphetOfDoom Thu 25-Apr-13 22:06:27

Talkinpeace Thu 25-Apr-13 22:29:32

how big is your lawn - if small enough for an electric mower, they consider a push mower - the standard of cut is better than any rotary

cantspel Thu 25-Apr-13 23:53:19

Briggs and Stratton are just about the largest manufacturer of petrol engines for lawn mowers and they are found in a wide varity of different lawn mowers.

How mush do you want to spend? Honda make great mowers but they are expensive. A budget copy is sanli which is a chinese made lawn mower.
I have the self propelling model and for what i paid it is a good machine

This is the one i have but i bought it on offer and paid £200 last year

ttp://www.amazon.co.uk/SANLI-LSP42-17-PETROL-LAWNMOWER/dp/B003PBBJ4M/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

I have alarge front and back garden with flower beds in the lawn and it copes fine. I cut the grass every other week in the summer and it never looks untidy between cuts.

Rhubarbgarden Fri 26-Apr-13 16:34:01

Matilda if you are looking for a petrol mower that starts easily, look no further than a Honda. They are lovely. I've got a Hayter now which is professional quality and built to last, but it's a beast to handle (self propelling, very heavy) and doesn't start quite as well as my old little Honda did. The cut, however, is superb.

Talkinpeace Fri 26-Apr-13 16:41:47

OP mentioned a budget of £70
my suggestion - which has been blithely ignored - meets that criteria.
A petrol driven Hayter does not.

cantspel Fri 26-Apr-13 16:59:17

Talkinpeace i think you will find all posts since your last one were in reply to SchmaltzingMatilda asking about pertol mowers as the op has not been back to this thread and it as threads do has moved on with a further enquiry.

Mspontipine Fri 26-Apr-13 22:10:41

I have a push mower - Qualcast Panther and I love it! 7 years of trouble free mowing year after year out it comes - old faithful grin

ProphetOfDoom Fri 26-Apr-13 22:46:09

Mummywheel Sat 15-Jun-13 14:00:38

No problem SchmaltzingMatilda. Sorry it's been a while. I finally purchased a Flymo and what a huge mistake that was sad while it cuts very well and is easy to handle it blows grass cuttings everywhere even though it has a grass collection box! Wish I had gone for the Bosch angry

NeverBeenToMe Sun 16-Jun-13 21:32:31

Homebase have an offer on lawn mowers which ends midnight online - it's either 20-25% off with free del to store. Might be something there if you google reviews elsewhere too?

mistresspea Tue 06-Aug-13 16:28:36

Linspins you didn't come back to us on your Bosch ! Am interested as need something for a small 30ft garden quickly
many thanks

ZolaBuddleia Tue 06-Aug-13 16:37:10

How is the push mower for weight, Talkinpeace? We have a v small lawn and it's such a faff to fight the electric mower out of the shed I'd love a small push along.

cantspel Tue 06-Aug-13 18:17:33

I bought a bosch Rotak 40 this year and it was lovely and light with a great finish. Unfortunately our garden was too big for it to be able to cope with the amount of mowing without overheating so i took it back and went back to my petrol mower but for a small 30ft garden it would have no trouble

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now