container grown climbing rose?

(8 Posts)
Bproud Sun 14-Apr-13 15:27:11

Can anyone recommend a rose that I can grow up a 6ft trellis, but rooted in a pot? My garden is gravelled so I can't plant it out. I am not too worried about the colour, but would like abundant flowers.
Thanks!

TheDemonShedMaster Sat 20-Apr-13 10:11:54

Hello Bproud - we have this one:

www.davidaustinroses.com/english/Showrose.asp?Showr=724

It seems to be perfectly happy in its pot, which is pretty big. It has lots of broken crocks for drainage in the bottom and I will be giving it a magnesium feed to get it going.

The RHS website ahs some useful information on it:

apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=278

Hope you find one you like!

LadyMud Sat 20-Apr-13 14:40:11

My local garden centre has a section called "Patio Roses" which are happy to live in pots. We have a pretty yellow one, Laura Ford.

moggiek Sun 21-Apr-13 22:32:53

New Dawn is a really prolific climber which would do well in a big pot.

mrsmontydon Mon 22-Apr-13 13:28:14

eeek-! New Dawn is more of a rambler and IMO would not work in a pot. My Mum has it trained along some fencing and it easily grows to 12 feet or more.

I've bought from David Austin- you know that all roses have to have at least 4 hrs sun a day. Next thing to think about is do you want colour, long flowering period, and/or perfume?

I have a white one in a pot- might be www.davidaustinroses.com/english/showrose.asp?showr=2934 this one.

I also have Jude the Obscure in the garden which has the most gorgeous perfume ever- it grows to about 5 feet so would work in a pot.

Showtime Sun 05-May-13 15:30:30

Thanks so much, Demon, your link's showing my favourite "Compassion" rose (although the actual colour's more impressive). Having recently rooted some cuttings for friend who now plans to move, am delighted to find your post about growing this lovely rose in a container, and plan to have a go.

UnrequitedSkink Sun 05-May-13 22:56:06

Mrs Monty Don, is your Jude a climber then? What do you get it to climb up, once it's in its pot? I'd love a climbing rose on the fence behind my very badly planned by the previous owners deck, I didn't know I could have one in a pot! This is very exciting...

UnrequitedSkink Sun 05-May-13 23:04:23

Just done a quick google search and the RHS recommends this one as a good choice for growing in a pot:

R. Phyllis Bide

I think it's really lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now