Waterlilies in a patio container

(6 Posts)
funnyperson Sun 07-Apr-13 08:00:41

Has anyone any experience and/or advice as to how to grow water lilies in a flattish patio conatiner?
Is it feasible? What type and size of container is best?
Is it better to grow from seed?
Can lilies grow int he stagnant water of the container or do they need running water, and does the water have to be changed regularly?

funnyperson Sun 07-Apr-13 10:57:52

I have now ordered some nelumbo nucifera seeds.
Though I will not be swimming in a lotus pool every morning as my father did, nor be rowed across a Himalyan lake though a sea of lotus flowers in a shikara as I was 30 years ago, and though I may not grow enough to eat the dish of lotus roots which we enjoyed as children, neverthe less I am to have at least some plants in the patio.
It is my contribution to world heritage because the lotus lakes are sadly almost all gone.
I need advice as to how to grow in a temperate clime on the patio though.

AnnoyingOrange Sun 07-Apr-13 11:22:18

Mine grow outdoors in a pond with a filter, so the water is moving

Here is some info about growing in pots www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/water-plants/water-lily/growing-water-lilies.htm

bumperella Sun 07-Apr-13 19:26:24

I grew mine in a container- but a water lilly, not a lotus. Most important thing to get right is the planting depth - different types need differnt depth of water over the crown, and if they don't like the depth you give them then they'll not flower so well.
Probably most important thing is to find out how big the cultivar you have will get, and the water depth and temperature it needs and buy a container accordingly.

iheartdusty Fri 12-Apr-13 21:44:39

watch out for mosquito larvae.

funnyperson Fri 12-Apr-13 22:16:43

No mosquitos round here! Will wash the seeds well though just in case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now