tell me about these sonic cat scarers

(12 Posts)
cheesecheeseplease Fri 15-Mar-13 15:06:17

are they any good? I'm fed up of picking mess up from everywhere!

Ohhelpohnoitsa Fri 15-Mar-13 20:13:31

Shamelessly lurking until someone replies. I do know wilkos have them for about £23

SirChenjin Fri 15-Mar-13 20:15:28

Also watching in the hope that someone will say they are marvellous

echt Sat 16-Mar-13 05:40:30

O looked online at some research that said it depended to a large extent on the cat; some will be deterred, others won't. If you google "cats scarers, do they work?" you'll find sites with lots of other suggestions.

I planted prickly plants which worked

Kveta Sat 16-Mar-13 07:30:41

Ours worked on some local cats, and drastically reduced the shit in the garden, but they took to using our shed roof instead, which ad you might imagine, smells lovely in the sunshine

Prickly plants ro not work on the lawn, garlic pellets did work until it rained, but rendered ds all garlicy too. Cat repelling spikes worked really well for a.few.weeks.

This year I am going to try prikka strips on their main routes into the garden, and put netting on the lawn over night, because it is ridiulous in our garden.

Over winter, they somehow ripped up netting I had over the veg plot, and have been using it as a litter tray, so I am loathe to grow veg there this year. They dug up spikes and pottery shards I'd put in, and shat around them. I am so so sick of the disgusting creatures!

Thumbwitch Sat 16-Mar-13 07:47:20

Don't get sonic jobbies if you have guineapigs - they hate it! Ditto if either of your next door neighbours have guineapigs.

SirChenjin Sat 16-Mar-13 09:20:47

We have an indoor guinea pig - would the sonic thing bother him?

Thumbwitch Sat 16-Mar-13 10:06:52

I don't know - don't know if the sonic waves can get through house walls or not, sorry!

Ohhelpohnoitsa Sat 16-Mar-13 12:48:28

we tried garlic granules which work if you keep applying them but stink. we have tried coffee grounds (as in any cafe or soft play or wherever) which wotked for a while. thinking now of puttibg some cut btambles over the area fot a few weeks to break the habit. Its my neighbours cat and he is old. lets hope he has had his 9 lives.

SirChenjin Sat 16-Mar-13 14:07:22

I've tried most things - have now resorted to small sticks and branches all over the flower beds (I use the term loosely) and that seems to have deterred the pests for now. I do wish that people would think before they buy a pet that imposes on others. Guinea pigs and hamsters all the way - they bother no-one.

elizaort Mon 18-Mar-13 11:42:35

I didn't have much luck with them at all. I ended up buying a sprinkler that has a motion detector, you connect it to a hose and when it sensors an animal (or human) it gives off a 3 second squirt of water reaching over 10 feet. it also rotates like sprinklers do and the cats around my garden certainly got to know about it. I bought them from www.primrose.co.uk, under pest control/cats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now