does anyone else have a gardening nemesis?

(30 Posts)
colleysmill Sat 09-Mar-13 12:32:36

My gardening nemesis are carrots.

In 5 years of fairly successfully growing fruit and veg I have yet to grow a good carrot. Every year I think "this is the year" and every year ends in serious carrot failure. I know carrots are cheap to buy and hard to grow but its become a matter of principle.

Dh gave me that hmm face as I merrily picked up another packet of carrot seed today whilst mumbling something along the lines of "not worth the hassle!" but I'm determined that one day I will manage a proper looking carrot.

Please tell me other people have gardening foes smile

linspins Mon 08-Apr-13 12:58:41

Potatoes. Won't be bothering anymore (plus they take up lots of space and are cheap to buy.) My potatoes always grow, look good, then are GRIM to eat, and fall apart into a tasteless mush however gently you cook them. ARGgggh.

Lily of the valley. Every batch has died on me within 6 months, and I first started trying in about 1995. Bastards.

However, a friend of mine kills cyclamen at 20 paces, which is obviously just carelessness smile.

WhatKindofFool Tue 02-Apr-13 19:07:30

Tried twice with carrots and failed dismally sad

Castlelough Tue 02-Apr-13 09:32:06

Strawberries....tried in pots when I lived in an apartment, to no avail. Dug a lovely bed in good soil at my new house last year. Planted 12 strawberry plants. Harvested two strawberries! Between cows breaking in and doing for half my plants, and suspected bunny nibbling of the others it was very disappointing. Going to dig up the survivors today and pot them. Have also bought 6 seedlings in Aldi for €2.50 yesterday to add to my aspiring strawberry venture! This year will be the year....hmm

lovesherdogstoomuch Fri 29-Mar-13 20:58:31

the only year i grew good carrots on my 'sandy soil' (ideal apparently) was the year i didn't weed very much. carrot fly couldn't find em. they flourished. take heart. keep on, you'll get there.

ethelb Sun 17-Mar-13 21:27:22

Cats. They dig holes, crap and dig another hole to cover it up. Along with my raddiccio plants this am hmm

OP have you tried paris market carrots. Good for crap soil.

UptoapointLordCopper Sun 17-Mar-13 19:43:24

I can't grow mint either. sad

AllOverIt Thu 14-Mar-13 10:36:48

Yes to strawberries. Raspberries, however seem to keep fruiting forever!

EssieW Thu 14-Mar-13 06:57:47

Strawberries.

They cost about £10 each if you look at the amount of money spent to harvest

AllOverIt Thu 14-Mar-13 06:57:32

Fecking bindweed. And horsetail. And ground elder.

I seem to have all the worst weeds in the world growing in my garden.

Urgh.

Pseudonymity Thu 14-Mar-13 06:55:56

Basil won't grow outside in this country.

Pseudonymity Thu 14-Mar-13 06:52:46

ROFL that someone can't grow mint grin
Mine is sage.

Things I have tried to grow a few times but they never ever worked - snake's head fritillaries (I'm sure they're meant to be easy!) and primula viallii.

Things I try NOT to grow but they keep appearing anyway and driving me nuts - Ivy (can't believe some people plant it deliberately!), rampant periwinkles, and a few other particularly annoying weeds I don't know the names of.

I am the only person I know who can't grow mint. It's practically a weed and I cannot grow a healthy specimen hmm

hellyd Wed 13-Mar-13 11:13:44

any sort of legume just fails and for some random reason i can't grow radishes! they are supposed to be the easiest thing that kids can start with but i can't get a radish no matter what i try!

daffsarecomingup Wed 13-Mar-13 10:35:28

tomatoes.

funnyperson Wed 13-Mar-13 07:17:53

The lawn. It has been seeded. It has been turfed. It has been raked and fed and sprinklered. It has been scarifyed and pricked and had dustings of fine sand or fine compost or miraclegro. Nothing avails: it will not grow into a fine lawn.

MrsDeVere Tue 12-Mar-13 16:33:01

I have a true nemesis

FECKING BAMBOO.

Its going to kill me one day.
They will find me, in my bedroom, the bamboo will have taken over the garden and made it's way into the house and up the stairs.

It will be the end of me.

Heeeeeelllllpppp

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Tue 12-Mar-13 16:30:24

Basil. It hates me and my garden.

Rhubarbgarden Tue 12-Mar-13 14:56:50

Irises. They hate me. Or maybe it's the soil. Anyway I've moved now so might try again <sets self up for heartbreak again>

colleysmill Mon 11-Mar-13 19:13:13

Snails weren't so much of a problem last year for me but my poor brassicas didn't survive the onslaught of the wood pigeons sad

This year though I have netting. Lots of netting <evil glare at naughty pigeons>

BobbiFleckmann Mon 11-Mar-13 16:28:02

I am dreading seeing what last year's snail invasion has bred into this year - am hoping the snow and seemingly long winter will have put paid to them. have already got my blue pellets out waiting for the fuckers. Last year, at my most deranged, I went out and just saxa'd about 100 of the slippery sods in the paddock before they could get to my beds (but that was long after the lupins, salvias, dicentras had been thoroughly mangled by them. I thought birds were meant to help out with them.

Last years slugs, there were millions of the fuckers!

Particularly the black and orange fat ones, they creep me out even when I pick them up with gloves on.

And the ten inch green ones composed mostly of water.

I have never seen so many in my life as last year - literally over a thousand on my allotment in the season and the worst bit was the tiny patio outside my back door (really small, like 10 ft by 11 ft) where I picked up 96 in one night all heading for the chicken food bag.

Snails. The slimy feckers eat everything.

Plant-wise: delphiniums, lupins and hollyhocks - and they're my favourites. My inability to grow them is probably linked to the minging molluscs.

purplewithred Sun 10-Mar-13 10:20:15

My mother once weeded out a whole 2m row of rocket. She did say afterwards she was surprised that weeds were growing in such straight lines. If she is not supervised she will weed out anything she doesn't recognise, which is anything not common in a garden in 1960.

But supervised she is a demon edger, her edges are Chelsea Flower Show good. Not bad for 92.

Happy Mother's Day mum!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now