does anyone else have a gardening nemesis?

(30 Posts)
colleysmill Sat 09-Mar-13 12:32:36

My gardening nemesis are carrots.

In 5 years of fairly successfully growing fruit and veg I have yet to grow a good carrot. Every year I think "this is the year" and every year ends in serious carrot failure. I know carrots are cheap to buy and hard to grow but its become a matter of principle.

Dh gave me that hmm face as I merrily picked up another packet of carrot seed today whilst mumbling something along the lines of "not worth the hassle!" but I'm determined that one day I will manage a proper looking carrot.

Please tell me other people have gardening foes smile

lovesherdogstoomuch Fri 29-Mar-13 20:58:31

the only year i grew good carrots on my 'sandy soil' (ideal apparently) was the year i didn't weed very much. carrot fly couldn't find em. they flourished. take heart. keep on, you'll get there.

Castlelough Tue 02-Apr-13 09:32:06

Strawberries....tried in pots when I lived in an apartment, to no avail. Dug a lovely bed in good soil at my new house last year. Planted 12 strawberry plants. Harvested two strawberries! Between cows breaking in and doing for half my plants, and suspected bunny nibbling of the others it was very disappointing. Going to dig up the survivors today and pot them. Have also bought 6 seedlings in Aldi for €2.50 yesterday to add to my aspiring strawberry venture! This year will be the year....hmm

WhatKindofFool Tue 02-Apr-13 19:07:30

Tried twice with carrots and failed dismally sad

Lily of the valley. Every batch has died on me within 6 months, and I first started trying in about 1995. Bastards.

However, a friend of mine kills cyclamen at 20 paces, which is obviously just carelessness smile.

linspins Mon 08-Apr-13 12:58:41

Potatoes. Won't be bothering anymore (plus they take up lots of space and are cheap to buy.) My potatoes always grow, look good, then are GRIM to eat, and fall apart into a tasteless mush however gently you cook them. ARGgggh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now