Anyone succesfully growing blueberries?

(6 Posts)
BoBoo Fri 08-Mar-13 17:23:34

I bought some blueberries with the intention of planting them directly into the garden, but forgot the whole acidic soil thing. I don't have much room for containers and it's additional expense to buy something nice and big but I'm not sure I can be bothered with the faff of maintaining a ph they like. How is everyone else doing it?

Oodsigma Fri 08-Mar-13 18:08:38

We planted containers of compost in the soil.few years ago now & don't fuss them, just a tidy up. We dd3 get blueberries but not in the quantity on the pictures!

ilikeyoursleeves Fri 08-Mar-13 19:33:36

I bought some last autumn and have them in containers. I just bought some azalea fertiliser for them. Other than that I'm doing nothing. Should I be doing anything?

Talkinpeace Fri 15-Mar-13 19:47:18

ours are in muck buckets sunk into the ground and top dressed with pine needles each winter
they seem to like it

lemontwist Fri 15-Mar-13 19:53:14

We grew ours in a big container. We put the right compost in at first then pretty much ignored them. We had a couple of years of virtually no fruit then suddenly they sprang to life and have been laden every year since. Apparantly neglect suits them grin

CraftyBec Wed 27-Mar-13 21:36:27

I have blueberries in pots - they are not massive pots and I prune the bushes occasionally (not every year) to keep them a reasonable size, and I also occasionally give them an ericaceous feed (one of the seaweed variety, in a blue bottle). They definitely need ericaceous soil, so the idea of sinking pots of acid compost into a normal garden bed sounds fine. I have 2 bushes so they pollinate each other - get a really good crop every year. Good luck with yours!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now