Chamomile lawn

(5 Posts)
Rhubarbgarden Mon 04-Mar-13 18:18:15

I rather fancy trying my hand at making one of these. I've got a small lawn at the side of the house, about 6m square (with a corner bitten out by a path so it's not quite square. It's south facing. At the moment it's mostly moss as we are on heavy clay, so not ideal soil for chamomile really. But I fancy the idea of bees buzzing over chamomile flowers in summer, and the scent wafting along to where we sit out on the adjacent patio...

Anyone any experience to share of creating or maintaining one?

Rhubarbgarden Tue 05-Mar-13 18:04:58

Anyone?

funnyperson Tue 05-Mar-13 20:00:42

Hello there I did post but it didnt upload so I will try and remember what I wrote and which I thought very erudite at the time ( it was 5 am).

I'm happy to share your chamomile lawn angst. I have sowed seeds from a Twinings teabag at the top end of the North facing lawn, where the grass is bare owing to a fox track and shaded by a tree which is not yet in leaf. By all horticultural norms this lawn is therefore doomed to failure. The only box it really ticks is that no one (other than foxes) walks on that bit of the lawn and it does get sun and it is nicely tilthed with good quality topsoil put down when the failed turf was laid.

The seeds, which I sowed 2 weeks ago are germinating. In patches. I propose to sow some more in the bare spaces.

I found a great set of images of chamomile lawns and they all had very dense growth so I think it is ok to sow direct into the soil. There is talk about not sowing the flower type of chamomile in horticultural circles, as it doesn't form such a good mat but to my mind the whole point is to have flowers etc so I have sowed from the tea bags on the ground that they were flowering, and besides James Wong recommends it.

Do share progress and ups and downs as I found rewriting this very therapeutic, as having the seeds germinate fills me with hope for the top end of the lawn, but as no one else in the neighbourhood is like minded, it would be great to hear more.

funnyperson Tue 05-Mar-13 20:03:28
Rhubarbgarden Tue 05-Mar-13 21:26:56

Thankyou funny that's very inspiring. I love the way that plants often thrive in places they are not supposed to. It's always worth having a go! Tea bags - genius. I need to remove the existing turf first, although as it's mostly moss I could just put moss killer down; I don't think there'd be much left after that.

I agree with you that flowers are the whole point. I guess it would be possible to mix up flowering and non-flowering seeds to thicken it up a bit if necessary. Hmm I am feeling quite encouraged! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now