Anyone have split bamboo screening?

(7 Posts)
ilikeyoursleeves Fri 01-Mar-13 18:26:05

I've just chopped down lots of dead / overgrown plants plus demolished a mouldy old playhouse and now feel really exposed to the neighbours. It's their fence but quite low so I want to put something up for privacy. I was thinking of buying a few rolls of split bamboo screens but don't know if they create much privacy. Can you still see a lot through them? Are they any good? Thanks

bumperella Fri 01-Mar-13 21:56:50

I've had it! It is gappy, but you can grow stuff up it in the summer (sweet peas etc) to make it a bit more screening. BUT if you live somewhere windy then you need to make sure it's well-supported: it will break easily otherwise. I think you'd be better spending the money on something a bit more permanent.

FlatCapAndAWhippet Sat 02-Mar-13 17:36:22

I really like the look of mine but as bump says it is a little gappy if you're wanting to use it for privacy. Mine is in front of a fence that I didn't particularly like the look of, I wanted it to look pretty and cottage garden. It's exactly what I was after but as far as creating prvacy is concerned I think you'd be better off with something else.

ilikeyoursleeves Sat 02-Mar-13 19:26:32

I went to homebase today to look at it and it did seem very gappy, I liked the willow screens though. Bit more dense but more money...

survivingwinter Sat 02-Mar-13 20:53:49

I have both a willow one and a bamboo one and neither provides much privacy tbh. A trellis with small holes and climbers growing up might be a good, solid solution?

fussychica Tue 05-Mar-13 17:03:14

We bought some in the summer for a quick cover up whilst trying to get a hedge establish - the winter was so wet it went very mouldy very quickly. We've taken it down now and gone for a new fence but I don't think we'll reuse it somewhere else as it looks horrid.

ilikeyoursleeves Tue 05-Mar-13 20:09:48

I went for willow in the end and got it delivered today. Should I attach it up off the ground to prevent it rotting?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now