Leylandii root length

(37 Posts)
Chippychop Mon 25-Feb-13 21:40:21

We are probably about to plant some right Down the side of the garden, 20m on each side. We are planning to plant away from the fence so we can get in and trim but can anybody tell me what length/depths the roots grow to. we are growing them for privacy but I don't want I upset my (nosy) neighbours so need to be armed with the facts in case they kick off.

Manchesterhistorygirl Sat 02-Mar-13 21:17:14

Interesting thread, we have a nightmare neighbour and can't have a fence at the front so we are planning a hedge instead. Lots of other people have hedges so we know we're ok on that front.

Tell me in simple words please what would be good, we want fast growing and not too expensive, but can't lower the value of our house because we fully intend to sell within three years. We're not garners so cutting back hedges is about our limit, that and mowing lawns and growing things in tubs. grin

INeverSaidThat Sat 02-Mar-13 22:19:58

Manchesterhistorygirl. Look at what your nieghbours have. You could also ask at your local garden centre and see what they have on offer.

You can keep costs down by planting bare root 'whips'. They are much much cheaper than potted plants (although tend to have a higher failure rate).

If you are going to plant bare root shrubs you should get onto it straight away as you have to plat them when they are not actively growing, ie in winter.

Whatever you do, don't plant leylandii. Even the slow growing ones. They are horrid. (IMO) smile

Manchesterhistorygirl Sat 02-Mar-13 23:28:30

A lot have lleylandii, so they're no bloody use. Thanks for the help you've given in bare root thingies. winkgrin

Chippychop Sun 03-Mar-13 00:09:57

[Manchester] In my now (considerable) research I would say thuja(red cedar) pot grown @ 80-100cm is your best most economical route. Evergreen toogrin

CuttedUpPear Sun 03-Mar-13 19:02:00

Pleaching a hedge requires painstaking training in the first few years and regular correct pruning thereafter.
Don't undertake it if you don't consider yourself a keen gardener - you have to make a pleached hedge, you can't buy one.

Rhubarbgarden Sun 03-Mar-13 19:22:41

Pleaching is fun and immensely satisfying though!

CuttedUpPear Sun 03-Mar-13 20:11:05

Yes I agree there Rhubarb! I have a couple coming on nicely after five years.
Not for the novice though.

Manchesterhistorygirl Mon 04-Mar-13 15:50:21

But I'm not intending to stay here that long. Maybe I'll just have to put up with her next door trampling all over my lawn and watching my every move.

Anyone want to buy a house?

survivingwinter Mon 04-Mar-13 20:28:49

Go for laurel or thuja Manchesterhistorygirl - even if it's not fully grown when you decide to sell you'll be nearly there and it'll be easy to maintain smile neighbours can be a right PITA can't they....

mirry2 Thu 04-Apr-13 14:46:00

Our neighbours planted leylandii next to our boundary fence. they are now about 30' and still growing. I worry about the repercussions if we want to sell our house but there's nothing we can do about it. The neighbours aren't the approachable kind

WhatKindofFool Thu 04-Apr-13 16:42:22

You are doing the right thing looking at alternatives. I bought a house with a row of 5 leylandii. 2 neighbours complained and I ended up felling them. I now have a row of trunks and can grow nothing where they once lived.

Bramshott Thu 04-Apr-13 17:35:32

Manchester - the ubiquitous privet is cheap and easy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now