What tools do I need?

(4 Posts)
DeathMetalMum Mon 18-Feb-13 17:10:38

New house, first garden. Garden is pretty small really and we also have limited storage space currently. What tools do I need? There are a few patches that I want to dig over (less than 1msq each) and put some grass seed down and also want to get a small flower bed going. When I have time/money to pick up plants etc. Nothing extravagant mostly experimental have young dc and another on the way so just want sometging in the garden for them to look at.

Will hand trowel and fork etc be suitable for what I want to do or do I really need full size fork/spade. As mentioned previously I have limited space and budget at the moment.

MoreBeta Mon 18-Feb-13 17:15:24

Hand trowel and fork shoudl be OK. You might want to some small secateurs to trim woody shrubs, perhaps hand shears to cut the hedge if you have one and a rake for the lawn to keep moss under control, clean up leaves.

How are you going to cut the lawn? You will need a small flymo mower probably.

DeathMetalMum Mon 18-Feb-13 20:09:06

We are luckily being donated some hedge shears and a lawnmower from Mil and a small storage container for them, as she no longer needs them. Not sure if the mower has a grass collection box or not.

There is nothing in the garden apart from grass at the moment so don't think I will need secatures just yet. Thanks I thought the smaller hand tools would be OK for the time being.

MoreBeta Mon 18-Feb-13 21:38:47

A flymo (hover mower) you dont need to collect the grass but dont let it get too long between cuts. To be honest if you keep it cut fairly short and cut regularly you could/should leave the clippings to feed the lawn. Constantly taking cuttings away gradually takes nutrients out of the lawn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now