Shaped privet (sp?) type plant???

(4 Posts)
Wiggy29 Mon 04-Feb-13 18:24:57

Aquelven- was baffled for a moment- thought the ginger was some sort of special gardener's tip! Thank you for the advice grin

Aquelven Mon 04-Feb-13 18:14:20

Finger not ginger blush

Aquelven Mon 04-Feb-13 18:13:37

You shouldn't need to water it if it's outside in all this rain.
If we get a dry spell you can stick your ginger in the soil & if it feels dry give it some water.
If you want to repot it, I would wait till the weather gets a bit warmer, around late March, as that's when most plants begin to think about starting into new growth.

Wiggy29 Sun 03-Feb-13 10:01:24

I bought a lovely shaped privet reduced in B&Q the other day but when I got home there was no care label. I've potted it in a deep pot with a drainage hole at the bottom, I put gravel in bottom, lighty loosened the root ball and planted the bottom of it level with the top of the plant.

A few questions- how often should I water it (it's outside of front door so partially sheltered by wall/ canopy) and, do I need to put it in a bigger planter? The one I out it in is only about 5cm wider than the root ball in each direction but when I looked on the internet it said this type of plant needs to be in a planter at least twice as wide as the root ball.

Thanks in advance- you can probably tell I'm a bit of a novice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now