Fruit trees - cordons/fans

(8 Posts)
RunsWithScissors Thu 10-Jan-13 08:16:28

Hoping to plant a cherry and a plum tree in my garden.

I've seen a type of cherry that can be fan trained (I'm hoping to keep them smaller), but it seems even on the smallest/shortest root stalk that a plum tree will get a good deal taller than I'd like.

Is it possible to just keep the tree pruned down in height? Thinking 2m. Or will this harm the tree, or limit the fruit growth.

Probably a stupid question, but thought it was worth asking if it means I can have plums :-)

roseum Sat 12-Jan-13 20:41:52

I've got fan trained plums - 4 different varieties. They are trained on a fence (posts with wires) that is about 5ft tall and each plum has about twice that in width, e.g. there is about 10ft between plum trunks.
They are doing very well, I prune them in the summer, and get pretty good crops. I bought them already trained to a (small) fan structure - about 4ft wide, and have trained them on from there to cover a greater width. You can do it from scratch yourself - takes longer though. I can't remember what rootstock the plums are on - but I'll have a look see if they've still got their labels tomorrow.
So yes - I don't see why you can't have plums too :-)

RunsWithScissors Sun 13-Jan-13 17:17:10

Thank you so much!!! Would love to know the root stock, that would be very helpful.

Your set up sounds exactly like what I would like in our garden.

Yay, plums!!!!

roseum Tue 15-Jan-13 15:00:48

Sorry - internet has been playing up. Anyway, sadly my trees' labels don't mention the root-stock - probably pixy, at a stretch St Julien A - suggest you talk to a reputable nursery who provide trained varieties - there are lots. The actual varieties of plum I have are Victoria, Herman, Marjorie's Seedling and Early Transparent Gage - to provide a long spread of fruiting times (and mix of cookers/ dual use and eaters) so that I don't get a glut of 4 types of plum all at once.

RunsWithScissors Tue 15-Jan-13 18:53:10

Thanks so much for checking. I've found a site that sells both fan trained and bush variety.

Brilliant having your input so I knew it was worth searching.

roseum Tue 15-Jan-13 20:12:32

You're welcome! Hope you get some nice plum varieties and good crops! The one thing you do have to be brutal about is pulling off some of the plums when they are about the size of an olive, so the trees don't over-fruit and give you an under-sized crop (or break branches).
Also worth only allowing them to produce a few fruit the first year the trees go in, so they put their effort into establishing a root system. Fortunately the next couple of months is the ideal time to be putting new fruit trees in.

2rebecca Wed 23-Jan-13 11:51:15

I have apple cordons and recommend RV Roger for trained fruit trees, they are very helpful if you phone them and have a large variety of stuff and a good website. I have no cherries or plums yet.

RunsWithScissors Fri 01-Feb-13 18:38:42

Thank you both for all the advice. Sorry for the delayed reply, haven't checked my threads in a while.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now