Eek I have to apply for planning permission! But what are these trees?

(33 Posts)

If anyone would mind helping me identify these two trees in my garden I'd really appreciate it. Pics on profile.

I have to apply for planning permission and they want to know about the trees. I'm only changing the windows so doing the application myself.

Any help gratefully received!

hmmm i dunno i dunno!!

it's not a happy tree / bush thing. there's a viburnum in the front garden and this doesn't look the same unless it's practically dead.

thank you very much all. i spoke to the planner today and she said that photos would be good enough and didn't seem worried that i didn't know the names of all the trees.

so it doesn't really matter what no. 2 is, although i'm still interested for interest's sake!

DoodlesNoodles Thu 10-Jan-13 20:28:21

Try this tree identification site

The leaves of 1 look just like pittosporum.

No 2 does look like viburnum but it's quite big so I don't know. hmm (if it were smaller I would say the leaves look lie viburnum tinus). There are loads of variety and the leaves vary a lot. sorry not helpful

Kiriwawa Thu 10-Jan-13 20:33:14

Tree 1 is deffo pittosporum. Tree 2 - trunk looks like eucalyptus but the leaves look a bit soft - eucalyptus leaves are very dry and much narrower than that usually (they are natives of very dry climates).

So no idea but I don't think they're anything to worry about TPO-wise smile

Tree people can be a bit sniffy - I asked the council to come and cut the hornbeam on the pavement and the tree surgeon arrived and said 'that's not a hornbeam, it's a whitebeam!' like I'd deliberately lied to him or something grin

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 10-Jan-13 20:33:31

Well, I'm in two minds about Tree 2. The leaves do look like viburnum tinus but (thinking of the vast one in my parents' garden) I would have expected the canopy to be much more tightly-packed. Could you take a leaf into a friendly local garden centre?

Kiriwawa Thu 10-Jan-13 20:59:13

Can you take a photo of the trunk/branches closer up? Does it flower?

<tree investigator hat on grin >

echt Fri 11-Jan-13 03:48:26

Leaves not at all like eucalyptus. The see would be waaay taller anyway, what with UK rain.

echt Fri 11-Jan-13 03:48:38

Tree, not see.

good news - sent planner photos and i don't need planning at all, so no more stress!

thanks all for taking the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now