Miniature tree please

(8 Posts)
MissBoPeep Thu 27-Dec-12 13:13:22

I am replanting my tiny front garden which faces north so rarely has much sun. I'd like to replace a large conifer with something prettier. Ideally evergreen but doesn't have to be. Maximum height around 8 feet. Looking perhaps at a weeping catkin, or even perhaps a standard bay or box in a pot- but open to suggestions. The toal area is about 8 ft by 8 ft with a minute lawn in the middle and the shrub or tree will be a boundary with a neighbour.

ISawMommyKissThorinOakenshield Thu 27-Dec-12 21:49:34

Flowering cherry? Crab apple (malus)? They're not evergreen but they do offer something for every season.

ISawMommyKissThorinOakenshield Thu 27-Dec-12 21:50:52

Both of those could otentially get much bigger than 8 feet, but you could limit their growth by growing them in a (very big) pot.

daisydee43 Sun 30-Dec-12 21:43:56

Should know but struggling to think of evergreen - I love the birch (Betula jackmonteii) or one of the rowans (sorbus) which has great winter berries. If your thinking of a large shrub ceonothus skylark is a glorious blue or pittosporum Elizabeth is a beautiful variegated shrub...

tougholdbird Fri 04-Jan-13 21:21:01

Amelanchier Lamarckii is a fab small tree/large shrub, not evergreen but lovely autumn colour and pretty white flowers.

Ponders Fri 04-Jan-13 21:31:57

not evergreen, but this acer has different-but-beautiful foliage all the time from spring (palest green) to autumn (shades of orange/red depending on weather) & doesn't get too huge

we have one like this which is 20+ years old, growing in a raised bed which is kind of like a pot - although the roots have been able to get beyond - & its total height is only around 12' I think. (the only linked says height 2m, so is prob a different variety, but there are lots)

it's a beautiful shape too & it is just divine smile

Ponders Fri 04-Jan-13 21:33:55

(ours is in a corner with walls where it was sheltered from E & N winds while it was little. they don't like it too cold)

Ponders Fri 04-Jan-13 21:38:56

ceanothus Skylark mentioned by daisydee could be ideal (although it's only 1.5m high according to this)

there are other varieties which are taller but

a) it is evergreen &
b) the blue flowers are amazing smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now