Long shot: book about good unusual garden plants to grow in England?

(6 Posts)
lljkk Netherlands Tue 04-Dec-12 20:18:51

this was on BBC radio in last few weeks, but I failed to catch name of author (arrggh).

The author was arguing that popular edible garden plants grown in England are not the best things to grow: they're hard to grow well and dead cheap to buy anyway. Example: potatoes & cauliflower. He said grow things like Saffron and, er, I can't remember what else. But it was all yummy, easy and pretty things to grow and often expensive to buy.

Does this sound even vaguely familiar? I can't think how to find out the title. Thought this book would make a nice Xmas present for DH.

Any help appreciated!!

lljkk Netherlands Tue 04-Dec-12 20:25:48
DUSTIN Wed 05-Dec-12 14:39:03

I was going to say James Wong. He also has a range of unusual seed collection in the Suttons seed/plant catalogue. Thought I might try growing Cucamelons and some of the other weird stuff.

lljkk Netherlands Wed 05-Dec-12 14:54:18

Nifty smile. We tried purple carrots this year (in Sainsbury's for Halloween). Noticeably different flavour (sweeter, not so tangy)

Takver Thu 06-Dec-12 20:18:33

I'm sure it will have been the James Wong book, as he's been around a lot promoting it.

If your DH likes that sort of thing, Plants for a Future isn't new and glossy, but it is an amazing book (though it will probably mean that he wants another 10 acres to plant up!!!).

TalkinPeace2 Fri 07-Dec-12 22:35:35

Geoff Hamilton - Ornamental Kitchen Garden

the best TV gardener EVER

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now