Suggested gifts for a nature mad child - suggestions for nature books/journal?

(15 Posts)
funnyperson Fri 09-Nov-12 03:13:39
funnyperson Fri 09-Nov-12 03:09:22
Takver Thu 08-Nov-12 21:41:14

DD (now 10, but she's watched them for ages) also loves the various David Attenborough series.

Takver Thu 08-Nov-12 21:38:40

The field studies council fold out guides are lovely - we have lots of them. Something like this one or this one might be good. They're very colourful, more so than you can see from the website.

bakingaddict Wed 07-Nov-12 13:12:07

Have you thought about any of the Deadly 60 stuff. Waterstone's generally have a good nature selection in their kid's section.

Also how about getting her one of the David Attenborough series such as Life in the Undergrowth. I recently bought my DS (5), the Planet Dinosaur series and accompanying encylopedia (sp?) off the BBC website for less than £20. If you order anything today from Amazon or the BBC should be with you by Sunday

goingbacktowork Wed 07-Nov-12 12:59:03

scrap it - the children don't want that membership so it is back to book suggestions please - gardens/bugs/nature generally. All suggestions welcome.Thanks very much.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 07-Nov-12 10:29:15

You can still get 'I spy' books, here - lots of nature-related ones. Might be pushing it to get from amazon by sunday, but I just googled and looks like Waterstones should have them. (We got DD some from a gift shop at a nature reserve type place IIRC)

goingbacktowork Wed 07-Nov-12 10:20:48

No that's fine but I need to be able to get for SUNDAY!!!

Nivet Wed 07-Nov-12 08:40:07

Oops, just realised you wanted a book not a thing blush

Nivet Wed 07-Nov-12 08:37:06

Flower press, ant farm, worm farm, butterfly hatching kit? One of DS presents this year is a bird food making kit from Lakeland.

How hands on is she? I've seen a great owl pellet dissection kit (pellet supplied) that I will get for DS at some point. Or a kit for casting wildlife foot prints?

DizzyPurple Wed 07-Nov-12 08:32:52

Membership of RSPB? Or similar. Many of these organisations have junior parts which look good. See if you can get any with your tesco points. I think there are one or two on there.

EauRouge Wed 07-Nov-12 08:29:18
EauRouge Wed 07-Nov-12 08:17:08

How about a membership to the woodland trust's nature detective club? You get all kinds of wall charts incl. a tree ID one and every week they email a nature 'mission'. Will link when I'm not on my phone.

AThingInYourLife Wed 07-Nov-12 07:26:31

Not exactly what you were looking for, but would she enjoy the Corfu Trilogy?

It's a book about Gerald Durrell being a child and nature fanatic in Corfu in the 30s.

It's hilarious and quite inspiring too.

Depending on how she reads it might be a good bedtime book for you/DH to read to her. Or if she's past that, she could read it herself.

goingbacktowork Wed 07-Nov-12 07:17:44

Hi. I need to get a gift for a 7 year old girl that loves nature. I was thinking maybe a book that helps you identify leaves and plants etc or maybe a nature diary but cannot really find any. Can anyone suggest any of these? Many thanks. Goingbacktowork

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now