What would be a good gift for a keen gardener?

(10 Posts)
PenelopeChipShop Wed 24-Oct-12 07:26:17

I'm looking to get a nice present for a very keen gardener - they have a big garden and an allotment. Budget about £40 or £50 max. I was wondering whether a nice plant or bush for the garden would be a good idea - I assume there are websites where you can have them delivered? But as its winter is it not an ideal time to have something new to plant? Is there something tool-wise that is really useful? I don't really garden myself so am a bit clueless, any ideas welcome from those with green fingers!

mumblechum1 Wed 24-Oct-12 07:30:01

Hi, my dh is a very keen gardener and wouldn't welcome a bush or plant as it would have to be exactly the right thing for a specific area, ie soil type, light, drainage, colour, height etc so a one in a million chance of getting it right!

A pair of very high quality secateurs wouldn't go amiss. You'd pay about £50 for them and they woud be appreciated, it's the sort of tool you want more than one of.

EauRouge Wed 24-Oct-12 10:29:39

Yes, I agree that tools are a better option than plants. I'm a keen (although v amateur) gardener and I have very specific tastes about plants and heavy clay soil that doesn't agree with everything.

My DM is also a keen gardener and usually I take her for lunch and on a shopping trip to a really good nursery so she can choose her own plant. We make a nice day out of it to make it a special occasion- would that work for you?

ethelb Wed 24-Oct-12 10:32:37

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Or simply gardening tokens.

APipkinOfPepper Wed 24-Oct-12 13:04:52

I often get gardening related presents for my parents as they are keen gardeners. As well as tools, how about a book (particularly if there is one area they are interested in), nice pots/containers, vouchers?

PenelopeChipShop Wed 24-Oct-12 20:14:57

Thanks for all the suggestions! Yes Eau that's probably the best idea as it sounds v easy to get it wrong otherwise. Have checked out your site too though Ethel, looks like a good idea to me.

purplewithred Sun 28-Oct-12 16:33:48

I agree with everyone else - don't buy anything for the keen gardener other than a token/shopping trip or a lovely day out somewhere gardeney.

Rhubarbgarden Sun 28-Oct-12 19:59:01

Have a look at the RHS website. They have some lovely gifts in the online shop.

echt Mon 29-Oct-12 07:28:57

An Opinel gardening knife is good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now