Reasonably priced large modern patio planters

(3 Posts)
Cinderariel Thu 18-Oct-12 09:22:43

Dear Garden Gurus. I am a skint gardener trying to create a "contemporary family garden" with al fresco entertaining patio affair and I would ike to have a number of matching modern looking large garden planters. But I am a novice with no idea even where to start/look. Can anyone help?

I have a modern brown brick house with "mahogany effect" UPVC windows (sadly a far cry from my dream georgian farmhouse, but never mind!). I think i need 5 or 6 garden planters, fairly large, ideally black/grey/silver sort of colours with a plan to plant silvery/greeny/purple shrubs for next to the front door and on the decking out the back.
I don't know whether I need slate/stone/plastic containers ? whats best? Where do I find for the best price ? And what do I plant?

Just a few(!) things to work out.. never realised gardening was such science!

LadyMud Thu 18-Oct-12 13:44:18

Oooh, how exciting - a new garden!

You can get some really nice (and cheap-ish) pots in "fibreclay", which look like lead. They come in a range of designs and sizes. Check out Ebay, Amazon, etc.

Personally, I'd go for shrubs with coloured foliage, and not worry about flowers. There are some little Hebes with green/silver/purple foliage (eg "Wild Romance"). And Heucheras come in a wide range of colours (try X Heucherella "Tapestry").

But the one essential plant is lavender - green leaves, and either purple or white flowers (some French ones have two-tone flowers) - and a lovely scent.

Have fun!

Showtime Tue 13-Nov-12 13:36:09

I'm replacing patio pots with home-made container/s, approx 1mxhalfm, to hopefully cut down on watering. Started with frame using off-cuts of wood, lined with weed-suppressant fabric then covered on outside with split-bamboo, which comes in a roll and am assuming will weather to silvery colour.
Agree with lavender plant/s, also that mauve is excellent colour for plants as so much choice.
This is first year of first container, but am very pleased so far and have not found anything I prefer, although Fibreclay containers sound good if large enough for drainage etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now